We are installing solar lighting along the car park entry and in the car parks at Ashburton Park, Ashburton. We are doing this to:
- provide safer access to the sportsground car park in the evening and after dark
- encourage more participation in sport by people of all genders - this forms part of our Diversity, Inclusion and Participation Program which you can find out more about by emailing our Sport and Recreation department at [email protected] or calling us on (03) 9278 4444.
About the project
Eight solar lights will be installed along the sportsground side of the entry and car parks at Ashburton Park. This includes the removal and replacement of 2 existing lights which are powered by electricity with solar lights.
Key features of the lighting include:
- targeted light to minimise impact on wildlife and surrounding neighbourhood
- energy-efficient LED lighting generated by solar power
- controlled timing, with the lights switched off between the hours of 10 pm and 5 am - this may change slightly in accordance with the sporting clubs allocated times at Ashburton Park.
We will also complete car park rectification works as part of this project.
The map on this page shows Ashburton Park, where the 2 current lights will be removed, and where the 8 new solar lights will be installed. The work involved with the project will only affect the western side of the oval, where (subject to final design, site conditions, and authority approvals):
- four new lights will be installed along the oval-side of the Fakenham Road entrance to the car park, and the one existing light will be removed near the playground.
- four new lights will be installed along the oval-side of the High Street entrance to the car park, and the one existing light will be removed from the other side of the car park.
The works will be delivered in 2 stages:
- Removal of the 2 existing lights powered by mains electricity (subject to authority approval) and installation of 8 new solar lights. The colour of the lighting poles will be black.
- Car park rectification works and undergrounding the overhead wire from Fakenham Road (subject to further investigation). This wire currently powers one electrical light (which will be decommissioned), the barbeque and the maintenance shed.
All works are expected to be delivered from late April 2023 and completed by mid-2023. The undergrounding of the overhead wire is subject to investigations and may occur at a later date.