On this page

If you or a small group of people would like to busk to raise money for yourselves or for charity donation, you need to apply for a Busking Permit. If you don't have a permit, you may receive a fine.

You need a Busking Permit to perform at Council-controlled areas, including:

  • parks
  • footpaths and nature strips
  • public car parks
  • roads.

Busking activities include:

  • playing an instrument
  • singing
  • magic
  • juggling
  • miming
  • dancing
  • puppetry
  • performance art
  • recitations
  • other appropriate theatrical or visual performances.

Before you apply

Please note: you can only apply for a Busking Permit if the primary applicant lives in Boroondara.

Before you apply for a permit, consider the following:

  • If you wish to busk outside a business, you need to provide written permission from the business stating their approval with your application.
  • If you or one of your performers is under 18 they must have adult supervision when busking. You will need to provide the name, phone number and email address of the adult supervising you in the application form.
  • If you are busking to raise funds for a charity, you need to provide the name of the charity with your application.
  • If you want to have a sign with the name of the charity and the percentage of funds you will be donating, you need to:
    • request this in your application
    • display it without blocking pedestrians or cars.

You can have a better chance of your application being approved if you provide more than one option for your busking location and date. Provide all potential locations and dates in your application, in order of preference.

How to apply

Apply for a busking permit by completing our Occupy Council Controlled Land Permit form.

You should submit your application with all relevant documents at least 10 business days before the date you want to busk.

There is no cost for a busking permit.

Call our Local Laws team on (03) 9278 4444 if you have questions or would like help with your application.

Apply for a busking permit

After you have applied for a Busking Permit, we will review your application. We will email you to let you know whether your permit is approved, or we will contact you for more information. If we need to contact you for more information, this may extend the amount of time it takes to review your application.

Busking guidelines and conditions

Below are some of the busking guidelines and conditions you need to follow if your permit is approved.

  • You cannot use sound amplifiers.
  • You are not allowed to advertise or be associated with any kind of advertising. For example, flyers cannot be handed out and products cannot be sold.
  • You can't ask people for money.
  • You can only perform on the dates, times and locations listed on your permit.
  • You can't harass pedestrians or be a nuisance.
  • You can't obstruct pedestrians or cars, or block entrances to shops and buildings.
  • You can't use any street furniture without permission.
  • You must comply with direction given by police officers or Council officers.

We reserve the right to cancel, suspend or amend your permit at any time. For example, your permit may be cancelled if you provided false information in your application, or if you break any of the busking guidelines or conditions.

You can read through the Amenity Local Law document available in the downloads section below to see:

  • a full list of reasons your permit may be cancelled, suspended, or amended
  • all of the the guidelines and conditions for busking.

Was this page helpful?