Alterations and extensions

This guide helps you determine which permits and approvals you need to alter or extend a house that is the only dwelling on a lot (a single dwelling).

  • ‘Alteration’ means making an internal or external change to an existing dwelling without increasing the floor area.
  • ‘Extension’ means adding to or increasing the floor area of an existing dwelling. This includes adding an extra storey.

How to use this guide

To help you work out which permits you need, begin at Step 1 and answer the questions one at a time.

You may be asked to look at zones that affect the property, measure the property area, determine the height of the building and assess how much of the property will be garden area.

This guide only refers to alterations and extensions to the house itself for example changes to the floor, roof, walls or interior.

To perform works on an associated structure, such as a deck, shed, verandah, pool, pergola, fence or retaining wall, refer to Do I need a Permit? and consult the relevant guide.

Before you begin

Before finalising your design:

If you plan to demolish any part of the dwelling in order complete your project, you may need a Planning or Building Permit for the demolition. 

More information

For information about planning and Planning Permits, contact our Statutory Planning team on (03) 9278 4888 or at [email protected]

For information about building and Building Permits, contact our Building Services team on (03) 9278 4999 or at [email protected].

Table of contents