Check if the property is in a Commercial Zone 

Refer to the report from VicPlan-external site to see if the property is in a Commercial 1 or Commercial 2 Zone.

You need Planning permission for an alteration or extension in a Commercial Zone, except for the following projects:

  • An internal rearrangement: You plan to make changes to the interior only, and will not increase the gross floor area or building size.
  • Domestic services normal to a dwelling: You are installing an appliance or apparatus that is normal to and services the building.
  • Repairs and routine maintenance: Your project is part of the regular upkeep or repair of damaged building parts and does not involve the entire replacement of the building fabric.

All other extensions and alterations in a Commercial Zone need Planning permission.

Are you performing extension works in a Commercial Zone that require planning permission?