Check if there is enough garden area for your project
An extension in a General Residential or Neighbourhood Residential Zone must meet the garden area requirement.
- Refer to your land title to determine the total area of your property.
- Refer to your plans to calculate the percentage of the property set aside as garden area.
- See whether the percentage set aside as garden area meets the requirement for your zone.
For a General Residential Zone or Neighbourhood Residential Zone:
- A property more than 650msq in area must include at least 35% garden area.
- A property 501msq to 650msq in area must include at least 30% garden area.
- A property 400msq to 500msq in area must include at least 25% garden area.
- A property less than 400msq does not have a garden space requirement
Note that there are no garden space requirements for a Residential Growth Zone.
Does you design meet the minimum garden area required for your zone?
- If yes, go to the next step.
- If no, you are not permitted to perform the alteration or extension. Exit the guide and email Statutory Planning for advice, if needed.