- Grants are available for up to $10,000 per project or activity, with a maximum of $2,000 for equipment purchases.
- Applications are made through online system SmartyGrants.
- Applications for the 2018-19 Annual Grants will open in late April 2018.
Follow the steps below to apply for an Annual Community Strengthening Grant. If you need any help, email email Community grants or call 9278 4723.
Step 1: Check you are eligible
Read through the eligibility and conditions to make sure you meet the criteria.
Step 2: Consider the assessment criteria
Applications are assessed against a defined set of criteria to a score of 100% so make sure you're familiar with them before completing your application.
Read the assessment criteria.
Step 3: Discuss your idea
Before you apply, talk through your project idea with a Council officer. They'll help you shape your application to give it the best chance of success.
Your application can't be assessed without completing this step.
Step 4: Complete your application
Make sure that you:
- Complete the budget requirements using the budget form in SmartyGrant, noting that:
- All budget costs must be justified for the project proposal.
- Professional fees and administration costs can only represent 50% of the total amount requested.
- Show how salary component is arrived at.
- The total income and total expenditure must be equal and GST exclusive.
- All items listed in the budget must include a description of the item.
- Some applications may receive partial funding.
- Attach all supporting documentation below (your application can't be assessed until we've received all these documents.):
- Certificate of Incorporation.
- Latest copy of your organisation’s financial statement.
- Current public liability insurance certificate or evidence of application for such.
- Quotes (exc. GST) for all purchases including the supplier's ABN.
- Letters or emails of support including auspice arrangement where applicable.
The following may help you with your application:
- History and demographics for data on health, education, housing, economy and diversity.
- How to make your event or project accessible.
If you're applying for over $1,000 and your organisation isn't incorporated, you'll need an auspiced application. This is where you get an incorporated organisation to apply on your behalf. For more information see Justice Connect's auspicing guide.
Step 5: Submit your application
Once submitted, you'll receive an automated email from SmartyGrants confirming that we received it.
Step 6: Your application is assessed
Assessment period is from June to August
Applications are assessed in order of receipt against the assessment criteria by the Community Strengthening Grants Assessment Panel. The panel consists of Councillors, Balwyn Rotary Club members and 2 community representatives.
The panel's recommendations are then submitted to Council for final endorsement.
Step 7: Results are announced
Announcements made by late October
We'll let you know if you've been successful by email.
Results will also be published on this website.
See the 2017-18 grants awarded.
Step 8: Complete an evaluation
Once the funding period is complete, we'll ask you to fill in an evaluation of the project and how the money was spent. This is done online using SmartyGrants (a link will be emailed to you).