You need to apply for a Charity Stall Permit if you want to set up a stall to sell raffle tickets, crafts or other goods on the footpath or other Council land to raise money for a not-for-profit community group or charitable organisation.

If you want to run a fundraising event on Council land, you'll need to apply for a Fundraising Permit.

How to apply

You need to submit your application at least 10 business days before you want to set up your stall.

If your request involves more than one Council department or a non-Council authority, your application may require additional time to process. If you’re unsure and would like advice before lodging your application, please call the Local Laws team on (03) 9278 4444.

With your application, you'll need to provide:

  • If your stall is outside a shop, a letter of approval from the trader stating that you have approval (verbal permission is also acceptable).
  • A letter from the community group or charitable organisation you are representing.
  • If you are serving food, written agreement on letterhead from any food trader within 30m of your stall.
  • Table measurements (generally standard size trestle table or card table).

We'll assess your application and email your permit if it's successful. We'll contact you if we need more information.

For more information, phone Local Laws on  (03) 9278 4444.


  • If you are selling food, you need to register with Council, see register a temporary or mobile food business.
  • Your stall must be set up in the Trading Zone to make sure pedestrian access on the footpath is clear at all times.
  • If your stall is offering food tastings, these must be free for everyone.

Was this page helpful?