On this page
Our Community Arts Venue Grants offer in-kind usage to high quality performance spaces and function rooms at Hawthorn Arts Centre and Kew Court House. We encourage members of the Boroondara community who meet the eligibility criteria to apply.
Successful applicants can receive free access to arts facilities and limited staffing for:
- performances and art exhibitions
- community functions
- conferences and meetings
- seminars, presentations, training sessions and workshops
- large-scale displays and trade exhibitions.
We administer the grant as an annual program with proposed dates to hold events specified throughout the financial year. Applicants can apply for a maximum of 2 Community Arts Venue Grants in a 24 month period.
Read the Grants Program Guidelines below.
Should you wish to apply for alternative dates, contact Hawthorn Arts Centre or Kew Court House directly.
Subscribe to the Boroondara Creative Community e-newsletter to receive monthly updates on opportunities and expressions of interest.
Venues available for community hire
Hawthorn Arts Centre
Kew Court House
Eligibility criteria for all applicants
1. The applicant is Boroondara-based
For groups and organisations, this means the applicant satisfies at least two of the following three criteria:
- They hold their meetings/rehearsals the majority of the time in a venue located within Boroondara.
- A minimum of 75% of their members live in the City of Boroondara.
- The group's activities deliver clear benefit to the Boroondara community.
For an individual applicant:
- The person must be a resident of the City of Boroondara, and
- The event, program or exhibition must be of an artistic nature. The activity can involve other contributors who may not be residents.
2. The applicant is not-for-profit
‘Not-for profit’ is classified by the Australian Tax Office in the Income Tax Assessment Act (1936).
3. The applicant holds public liability insurance or an application for such
If the applicant does not hold current and or adequate public liability insurance, Council may be able to insure them under its cover. This will be addressed on a case by case basis.
For venue-specific criteria, exceptions and information about the selection process read the Grants Program Guidelines.
Other venue hire options
Community members in need of a venue for an event may also wish to consider our options for paid venue hire. We offer a variety of spaces at hourly rates:
Contact us if you have any community venue hire queries.
Hawthorn Arts Centre:
Kew Court House: