This guide describes which permits and approvals you need to construct a house that is the only dwelling on a lot (a single dwelling).

You may need a Planning Permit to build a single dwelling. You will need a Building Permit before you begin construction and an Occupancy Permit to occupy the building.

Depending on your circumstances, you may also need a:

  • Tree Works Permit
  • Road or Footpath Occupancy Permit
  • Vehicular Crossing Permit
  • Asset Protection Permit

How to use this guide

To help you work out which permits you need, begin at Step 1 and answer the questions one at a time. You may be asked to look at the zone in which you plan to build, overlays that impact your project and the area of your lot.

More information

For information about planning and Planning Permits, contact our Statutory Planning team on (03) 9278 4888 or at [email protected]

For information about building and Building Permits, contact our Building Services team on (03) 9278 4999 or at [email protected].

Before you begin

Before finalising your design:

If you plan to knock down an existing dwelling in order to build a new house, you may need a Planning or Building Permit for the demolition works. See our Demolish all or part of a building guide.

Table of contents