Use the Alter or extend a dwelling guide to determine which permits and approvals you need to alter or extend a house that is the only dwelling on a lot (a single dwelling).

  • Begin at Step 1 and answer the questions one at a time. 
  • You may be asked to look at zones and overlays, measure the property area, determine the height of the building and assess how much of the property will be garden area.
  • When prompted, exit the guide and apply for the permits and approvals relevant to your project.

Note that the guide only refers to alterations and extensions to the house itself for example changes to the floor, roof, walls or interior.

To perform works on an associated structure, such as a deck or verandah, refer to Do I need a Permit? and consult the relevant guide.

Was this page helpful?