You need to apply for a Road and Footpath Occupancy Permit if you want to store equipment or carry out construction activities on Council land.

Council land includes:

  • roads
  • footpaths
  • nature strips
  • parks
  • public car parks.

Equipment and materials includes:

  • hoarding and gantries
  • site sheds
  • concrete pumps
  • building materials
  • work platforms
  • mobile scaffolding
  • cranes or travel towers
  • pipes and chutes
  • shipping containers.

Step 1: Submit your application

You must submit your application at least 10 business days before you intend to start building works. The fees that apply to this permit are available in the Fees section on this page.

Apply for a Road and Footpath Occupancy Permit

If you can't apply online, you can also download and complete the Road and Footpath Occupancy permit application form below. You can then submit the completed form to at our Council office, or email the completed form to [email protected]. Council office locations and hours are available on our Contact us page.

What to include with your application

You need to include with your application:

  • A traffic management plan or details of how you will place, erect, dismantle and undertake works. Works on the road must be clearly outlined and signed according to Australian Standards (AS). Refer to AS 1742.3, SAA HB81.1-2003, SAA HB81.3-2003 and HB 81.4-2003. A Traffic Management Plan must be prepared by a qualified person as required by the Road Management Act 2004 and Road Safety Act 1986 and must be in accordance with AS 1742.3 2009.
  • A dimensional, detailed site plan of works and how they will be completed.
  • A Certificate of Currency for Public Liability Insurance Policy with a minimum cover amount of $20 million.
  • If your works are located, or any traffic management devices are placed, on a state-owned arterial road, you will need to apply for a Memorandum Of Authorisation (MOA) from the Department of Transportation (formerly VicRoads),  and provide the approval of this MOA with your application. You can find out more about this on the VicRoads website.
  • A courtesy notification letter to be sent to any properties affected by the works (Council will nominate these), including the name and contact details of someone on-site, relevant traffic plans and construction dates.
  • Any relevant licences or permits. These may include:

Step 2: Your application is assessed

When we receive your application, we will send you a confirmation email.

We will contact you if we need more information to assess your application.

Step 3: Approval, payment and permit issue

If your application is successful, you will have to pay before a permit is issued.  You will be sent a tax invoice that includes advice on how to pay for the permit. Once you pay the invoice, the permit will be issued to you by email. You can start your works once you have received your permit and have sent out your courtesy letters at least 48 hours before you occupy the Council-managed land (see next step).

Your approved permit must be available for inspection on site.

On 23 August, 2021, Council made a resolution to adopt the Protection of Council Assets and Control of Building Sites Local Law 2021. Please take time to read the Local Law, to ensure that you are familiar with your obligations under the Local Law and how the Local Law impacts your works.

Step 4: Send courtesy letters

Once your permit has been approved and issued, you can send your courtesy letters to the affected properties (nominated by Council).

Courtesy letters must be sent to any properties affected by the works (Council will nominate these) at least 48 hours before you occupy the Council-managed land.

Your letter must include:

  • Name and contact number of project manager on site
  • Details of the works and their impacts
  • Time of works
  • Location of works.


Council will inspect your works while they are occurring as well as at the end of your works. This is to make sure you are undertaking your works as per your permit conditions. The cost of these inspections will be included in your invoice, and are also available in the Inspection fees table on this page.


Road and/or footpath occupation fees

Process Frequency Fee
Road and/or Footpath Occupation application Per application $124
Road and/or Footpath Occupation Permit Per day $181

Hoarding and/or Gantry fees

Process Frequency Fee
Hoarding/Gantry (Protection Works) application Per application $124
Hoarding/Gantry (Protection Works) Permit Per permit $135
Hoarding/Gantry Occupancy rate Rate multiplied by meter squared, per week $12.50

For road and footpath occupations, inspection fees apply at a minimum of 2 inspections per Road and/or Footpath Occupation Permit. See Inspection fees table below for details.

Inspection fees

Inspection fees apply to Road and Footpath Occupation Permits and Hoarding/Gantry Permits. There will be a minimum of 2 inspections for Hoarding/Gantry Permits, and Plant and Equipment will be charged an inspection fee per day of occupation.

Process Frequency Fee
Inspection fee Per inspection $128
Out of hours inspection fee (Saturdays and before/after standard permissible construction work hours) Per inspection $393

Parking fees

Parking fees may apply if the area you are requesting is a metered parking bay. 

Parking area Year 23/24 fee
4-hour paid parking

$5.50 per 4 hours

$3.50 per hour

3-hour paid parking

$5 per 3 hours

$3.50 per hour

2-hour paid parking

$4.50 per 2 hours

$3.50 per hour

Paid parking (other areas) $7 per day
Paid parking – Junction West off-street car parking $7 per day
Paid parking $3.50 per hour
Paid parking (Glenferrie car parks – Park Street, Grey Street, Wakefield Street and Linda Crescent) $3.50 per hour after first hour
Paid parking – Rose Street off-street car parking $7 per day

Shipping container fees

Process Frequency Fee
Shipping container application Per application $124
Shipping container permit Per day $147

Amendments to issued permits

You can submit any changes to occupation under an issued permit by filling in our online Amendment/extension of a Road and Footpath Occupancy Permit form. When filling in this form, make sure you have your permit case number, which is located in the top right-hand corner of your issued permit. 

Changes can only be made up to 10 am on the valid permit date. After 10 am the applicant will be charged for the full day.

A change that would require an amendment may include:

  • reducing or increasing the area of occupation
  • changes to the days of occupation
  • changes to your Traffic Management Plan (TMP)

If your permit has expired, you will need to reapply for a new permit.

Extensions to issued permits

You can submit a request to extend the number of days on your permit beyond the current permit expiry date by filling in our online Amendment/extension of a Road and Footpath Occupancy Permit form. When filling in this form, make sure you have your permit case number, which is located in the top right-hand corner of your issued permit.

A request for an extension can only be made while the permit is valid. Any requests for an extension after the expiry date of a permit will not be accepted, and a new application must be completed.

We recommend you carefully consider your program of works to ensure you have adequate time to notify us if you want to extend your permit. If you apply for an extension of your permit, you will need to pay your invoice before the permit can be issued.

If your permit has expired, you will need to reapply for a new permit. 

Other permits for occupying Council land

If you want to place a skip bin on Council land, you'll need to use a skip bin company approved by Council. More information about this is available on our Skip bins page.

If you want to install hoarding or gantry for building purposes on Council land, or if you intend to set up a construction zone, you'll need to apply for a Report and Consent - Precautions over street alignment. Our Report and Consent page has more information.

You need to apply for a works zone permit if you require dedicated parking bays for the delivery of building materials or to park trade vehicles associated with your construction site. You can find out more on our Apply for a Works Zone Permit page.

You may need a Planning Permit if your signage exceeds 10 meters squared, or is illuminated. If this applies to you, you can call us on (03) 9278 4444.

For more information about occupying Council land, call us on (03) 9278 4444.

Was this page helpful?