We are completing refurbishment works at the North Balwyn Seniors Centre, also known as the Marwal Centre. These works will improve accessibility and amenity for our older adults using the facility for programs that promote social connection, which is beneficial for good health.
The centre, located at 9 Marwal Avenue in Balwyn North, has supported older residents in the Balwyn North area for over 40 years.
The property is Council-owned and leased to BASScare (Boroondara Aged Services Society) who are a local not-for-profit aged care provider. BASScare delivers a range of services, social support programs and community activities. In addition to BASScare’s use of the building, two large senior groups meet at this location each week.
Works are expected to commence in early 2023 and be completed by mid-2023. Construction will occur inside the building and at the entryway.
Works will occur on weekdays between 7 am and 6 pm, and may also occur on Saturdays between 9 am and 5 pm. We will aim to minimise disruptions to neighbouring residents as much as possible.
There will be no major impacts to current parking conditions. Temporary traffic changes may be introduced as needed, as well as temporary restrictions to footpath access outside the building.
About the project
The refurbishment works will deliver:
- improved accessibility both to the building entrance and within the building
- a new reception area in the foyer
- refurbished activity spaces including new furniture, and new floor and window coverings
- improved energy efficiency with upgrades to lighting
- general building maintenance, including external painting
- minor external works and works on the area for accessing the car park.
This project is being delivered by Council with support from the Victorian Government’s Living Local Fund.
Relocation of BASScare services
During the refurbishment works, BASScare services and activities will be relocated to Balwyn Leisure Centre, 230 Balwyn Road, Balwyn North.
Community group activities, including seniors group meetings, will be relocated to either:
- Kew Seniors Centre Hall (533 High Street, Kew)
- Gordon Barnard Pavilion (Gordon Barnard Reserve, Balwyn North).
For more information about the refurbishment works, you can contact us on (03) 9278 4777.