On this page
We have finalised the design and expect to award the building contract in late 2023, with construction to commence in early 2024.
In April and May 2023, we asked our community and local sporting clubs for feedback on a draft design for the pavilion. We received mixed support from 24 community members who provided feedback.
You can find out what our community told us, how their feedback shaped the final design, and view the final design on our Canterbury Sports Ground pavilion upgrade consultation page.
About the project
We are upgrading the Canterbury Sports Ground pavilion to create a better experience for the community and local sports clubs, including:
- Canterbury Cricket Club
- Canterbury Football Club
- Canterbury Junior Football Club.
Upgrades to the existing pavilion include:
- a modern design to update the building’s look and feel
- new facilities to support the groups who use the pavilion, such a first aid room
- ramps for wheelchairs, prams and other mobility devices
- renewed pathways and better connections between the pavilion and key features of the park
- more inclusive changerooms and bathrooms, including adding cubicles.
These changerooms will have better facilities for women and are part of our efforts to support female sports teams and encourage female sports participation through our Diversity, Inclusion and Participation Program.
The upgrades are in line with our Development and Funding of Community Pavilions – Sport and Recreation Policy and our Boroondara Community Plan 2021–2031.
Council has an allocated project budget of $2.85 million over the 2022/23 to 2024/25 financial years. Canterbury Cricket Club was successful in securing a $1.25 million grant from Sport and Recreation Victoria to support the renewal works.
The final design
In response to community feedback, we updated the design by:
- adding more native vegetation with a new landscaped area (grassy swale drain) along the Chatham Road entrance
- retaining the existing drinking tap
- adding a new pathway with landscaping, connecting Chatham Road to the pavilion.
The updated design still features:
- 4 inclusive change rooms with amenities (2 new change rooms plus refurbishing the 2 existing change rooms)
- elevating the existing building by 42 cm to make it level with the sports ground, improving drainage and sight-line to the oval
- 2 new umpire rooms
- a first aid room to allow for better injury management on site
- a sheltered spectator decking area connecting to the multipurpose room
- ramps for better accessibility and wheelchair access
- improvements to the external building façade
- improvements to the kitchen and kiosk areas
- increased storage spaces
- upgraded external lighting for improved safety during night use of the pavilion and pavilion surrounds.
As part of our design we will:
- use recycled brick cladding for the pavilion
- extend the pavilion on the southern end
- landscape the entry way
- create a ramp to create better access from the change rooms to the multipurpose room and kitchen
- create a new maintenance pathway for oval access
- add a new concrete path to connect the western side of the pavilion to car park.
We have carefully considered the design of the upgraded pavilion to make sure it:
- supports our sustainability efforts
- increases accessibility
- does not impact views of nearby residents
- does not require tree removal
- is a welcoming and useful place for the community.
|End 2024 to early 2025
|Award building contract
|We created and published a final design in response to feedback gathered during consultation
|April to May 2023
|We consulted with the community and local sports clubs on the draft design.
|We consulted with local sports clubs and developed a draft design.
To receive updates about this project, visit our Canterbury Sports Ground pavilion upgrade consultation page and select 'Follow' at the top of the page.