On this page
Living for our Future program
This program helps you live in a more sustainable way.
Through this program, you can:
- attend free workshops and webinars
- get subsidised worm farms and compost bins
- access free advice to save energy in your home.
To get updates about sustainability workshops, events, programs, services, and resources, sign up using our Living for our Future email form.
Host your own event
We can help you host your own event if you're part of a:
- community group or club in Boroondara
- school or kindergarten in Boroondara.
We help you find experts to deliver these events. You will need to organise the event itself.
- Energy savers – practical advice about reducing energy use at home, school or work.
- Going electric – choose from:
- all-electric homes
- electric vehicles
- electric bikes.
- Sustainable gardening – choose from:
- Water smart gardens
- Sustainable pest management
- Creating a wildlife-friendly garden
- Gardening for balconies and small spaces.
- Krefft’s glider hollow checks – join in a morning of checking the hollows of our resident Krefft’s gliders (formerly known as sugar gliders) at Willsmere Billabong. Restrictions apply to this experience. An officer will discuss options with you on application.
How to apply
You can apply to host an event up to 2 months before the planned date.
Email your request to [email protected] and include:
- name of your group or organisation
- topic (from above list)
- planned date and time
- venue name and address
- expected number of attendees
- your plan to promote the event
- your reason for hosting the event.
- your planned outcomes.
To host an event, you must:
- expect at least 25 attendees
- have a suitable venue with seating and tea/coffee facilities
- provide a data projector and screen
- open your event to community members
- acknowledge City of Boroondara and Living for our Future in your promotional material
- provide us with feedback after the event.
During the event, you must:
- acknowledge the support of City of Boroondara and Living for our Future
- ask participants to complete a feedback survey.
In case you missed it
Keeping chickens in your backyard
You can watch the recording of the keeping chickens in your backyard for beginners session on the Chookopia YouTube channel.
Presented by Ella from Chooktopia, this video covers:
- how to keep healthy, happy chooks in your backyard
- Council and local law requirements.
Heatproof your garden
You can also watch the recording of the Heatproof your garden webinar on the Very Edible Gardens YouTube channel.
This webinar presented by Very Edible Gardens offers tips to create a garden that provides shade and uses less resources.