You may need a Planning Permit, a Building Permit or both to build or replace a front fence.

You may also need other permits, depending on your situation.

How to use this guide

To help you work out which permits you need, start at Step 1 (below) and answer the questions one at a time.

If you are building a side or rear fence, visit our build or replace a side or rear fence page.

For information on pool or spa fences, visit our pool and spa safety barriers page.

More information

If you need our help at any step, call us on (03) 9278 4444 or email [email protected].

Was this page helpful?