Step 1: Confirm that the request is a major change to plans

If you are in doubt as to whether the change is major, email Statutory Planning.

An amendment that could cause material detriment to any person (for example, a neighbour) or requires additional planning permission is always considered a major change.

This is the case, even if there is a condition in the original Planning Permit that mentions 'consent of the Responsible Authority'.

Step 2: Provide supporting documentation for the major amendment

You need to obtain:

  • Certificate of Title. You can get this using the Landata website
    The Certificate of Title must be no more than 28 days' old.
  • an electronic copy of the amended plans
  • cover letter detailing the proposed changes
  • written summary justifying why the amendments are being requested.

Make sure that the revised plans include all parts of the original design that have not changed. For example, if the original plans included two buildings, and one will be modified, both buildings must appear on the revised plans.

Step 3: Complete the application form and lodge the application

Complete the Application to Amend a Planning Permit  form. There is a fee for the application.

Your amended application may be eligible to be fast-tracked under VicSmart.

Submit the application for a major amendment to endorsed plans

We prefer that you submit the application electronically, using either of the following methods:

Alternatively, we accept applications submitted in person or sent by post to Council Offices.

Note that we will send all subsequent correspondence to the email address stated on the application form. 

Step 4: Respond to requests for further information

If we need further information to make a decision on your application, we will ask you to obtain and submit the required documentation.

The process for assessing amendments to Planning Permits is governed by the Planning and Environment Act 1987.

For help, email Statutory Planning or call 9278 4888.

How useful was this information?