On this page
Some Planning Permit applications can be fast-tracked via VicSmart. VicSmart is a streamlined process for straight forward applications. It may also reduce your application fee.
VicSmart applications are processed within 10 days.
Check if you are eligible
You may be eligible to apply via VicSmart if your land is affected by any of these zones and overlays:
- Residential Zone (if associated with one dwelling)
- Environmental Significance Overlay
- Significant Landscape Overlay
- Heritage Overlay
- Design and Development Overlay (including Design and Development Overlay Schedule 31)
- Special Building Overlay.
To check your zones and overlays, get a property report from the VicPlan website.
There are further eligibility requirements and conditions for each of these zone and overlays.
For more information, download the applicant's guide from the VicSmart permits page on the Department of Transport and Planning website.
Developing on smaller lots
If you are developing on a smaller lot (less than 300 m2), your property must meet requirements from the Boroondara Planning Scheme to be assessed via VicSmart. You can learn more on the Boroondara Planning Scheme page on the Department of Transport and Planning website.
Your development must meet the following Clause 54 requirements.
- A3 Street Setback
- A15 Overlooking
- A14 Overshadowing open space
- A13 North-facing windows
- A12 Daylight to existing windows
- A11 Walls on boundaries
- A10 Side and rear setbacks.
For information about smaller lot developments, visit our Developing on smaller lots page.
Apply for a Planning Permit via VicSmart
- Visit the VicSmart permits page on the Department of Transport and Planning website and download a checklist of what you need to apply.
- Download and complete the application form on this page.
- Email the form and supporting documents to [email protected].
- Include in the subject line 'for the attention of Planning & Placemaking'.
Download our VicSmart Planning Permit application form
If you are not able to submit your application by email, you can submit it in person, or post to:
City of Boroondara
c/- Statutory Planning Department
8 Inglesby Road
Camberwell VIC 3124.
Pay the fee
You must pay the application fee that has been set by the Victorian Government. For a list of fees visit the Fees page on the Department of Transport and Planning website.
An invoice will be sent following registration of your application.
The assessment process
We assess your application against the Planning Scheme criteria.
You may be asked for more information within 5 business days of us receiving your application.
We will notify you within 10 business days of our decision. You can appeal this decision if you do not agree.
For more information about how we make decisions or the appeal process, visit our Apply for Planning Permit page.
For more information about the process, visit the VicSmart permits page of the Department of Transport and Planning website.
For planning controls in Boroondara check the Boroondara Planning Scheme page on the Department of Transport and Planning website.