You must prepare a site plan to apply for a vehicle crossing permit.

What to include

Your site plan must show the:

  • location of existing crossings to the property
  • location of planned crossings or changes to existing crossings
  • name of the street frontage that planned crossings are on
  • dimensions of the internal parking space and/or garage setback
  • distance between proposed crossings and all assets
  • proposed width of the crossings
  • underground assets in your Dial Before You Dig report
  • public authority assets such as utility pits, poles, pipes and fire hydrants
  • street assets including street trees, stormwater drains and sign posts.

Distance between crossings and assets

Show the distances between planned crossings and all assets in your plan.

Assets include:

  • infrastructure owned by Council or other public authorities
  • trees and vegetation.

Your crossing must be at least 2.5m from the exposed base of street trees.

Your crossing must be at least 1m from:

  • drainage infrastructure
  • utility infrastructure or street furniture
  • other underground infrastructure
  • manholes, chambers, or other public authority assets.

Your crossing must be at least 600mm from a single-lidded Telstra pit.

Crossing widths

Single residential properties

Show the width of the planned crossing, measured at the footpath.

If there is no footpath, show the width measured at the property boundary.

The standard crossing width for single residential properties is 3m.

Commercial and industrial properties

Commercial and industrial crossing widths depend on vehicle access and parking needs.

Check the Vehicle Crossing Procedures for more information.

Submit your plans

When you have completed your plans, apply for a vehicle crossing permit.

After we inspect your site, we will let you know if you need to make changes to your plans.

For example, your crossing may need to be further away from trees or other assets.

Email your amended plans to [email protected].

More information

Call us on (03) 9278 4444 or email [email protected]

Was this page helpful?