Coronavirus update 13 March 2020

Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance and support.

A vehicle crossing (also known as a crossover) provides a constructed access point from the road pavement to the abutting property boundary.

Not all properties are entitled to a vehicle crossing and in some instances a planning permit may be required. The property owner is responsible for the cost of works on the vehicle crossing. 

The construction, modification, relocation or removal of a vehicle crossing requires a Vehicle Crossing Permit.  A Vehicle Crossing Permit is also required to repair any other street assets (ie. footpath, kerb, channel, etc).

No works are permitted on Council-controlled land or assets without a valid permit.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Vehicle Crossing Permit Application Form (PDF, 289 KB)
  2. Create a site plan
  3. Submit your application form and site plan via mail to Private Bag 1, Camberwell VIC 3124.

Site plan

The site plan should clearly identify:

  • the location of any existing crossing(s) to the property
  • the location of all proposed crossings or modifications to existing crossings
  • the name of the street frontage that proposed crossings are located on
  • all street assets within proximity of proposed crossings including street trees, sign posts, power poles, utility pits, stormwater drains, fire hydrants and neighbouring crossings
  • the dimensions of the internal parking space and/or garage setback.

Refer to the Vehicular Crossings Procedures (PDF, 348 KB) for minimum clearances from all street assets.

How we process your application

Please allow 10 business days for your application to be assessed. 

Once we receive your application, we will conduct an onsite assessment to determine whether a permit will be issued.

The assessment will confirm that the proposed works comply with our:

If required, we will contact you for more information.

Permit conditions

  • Vehicle Crossing Permits are valid for 18 months from date of issue and can not be extended.
  • Vehicle Crossing Permits are not transferable to another party.
  • The standard width of a vehicle crossing is 3 metres. At our discretion, an application may be supported to increase the crossover width beyond the standard 3 metres.

Additional permits

Additional permits may be required for works on Council land, including Asset Protection, Works Within a Road Reserve or Planning permits.

To find out if you will need additional permits, see our Build or repair or remove a crossover guide.

More information

For more information, contact the Asset Protection and Permits team on 9278 4505 or at [email protected].

How useful was this information?