We are enhancing the Maling Road Precinct in Canterbury, building on its unique heritage character and village charm.
- Over 1,200 people shared their big ideas to revitalise Maling Road during community engagement held in late-2019.
- These ideas informed the development of the Maling Road Place Vision. This document brings together your feedback and initial research about the area.
- In May 2020, you helped us prioritise the key opportunities identified in the Place Vision. You told us how Maling Road, its laneways and Theatre Place could be improved.
- This input alongside thorough place analysis has contributed to your Maling Road Place Plan. This document contains projects and initiatives to improve Maling Road now and into the future.
Share your story
Be part of the Maling Road story by sharing your stories and memories online this month.
Your feedback will help guide future decisions on permanent artwork and art activations in Maling Road.
For more information, contact [email protected] or call 9278 4770.
What's on in Maling Road
A snapshot of the Maling Road Place Plan
Based on your ideas and feedback, this is your collective vision for the future of Maling Road:
Maling Road will offer a unique village feel, with its heritage character and diversity of shops complemented by playful, vibrant and safe spaces attracting people of all ages and backgrounds, morning to night.
These five principles respond to the community’s aspirations for how Maling Road can become a vibrant and welcoming place attracting a diversity of visitors:
- heritage village
- retail diversity
- vibrant public spaces
- walkable streets
- safe and accessible.
Each principle includes real-world projects and initiatives, such as physical projects like public realm upgrades, and supporting initiatives like music performances and community murals.
The Place Plan brings together the ideas and aspirations of the community, businesses, community organisations, landowners, the Maling Road Business Association and other key stakeholders.
Community engagement summary
All of the findings from the first phase of community engagement held in late-2019 are summarised in the community engagement summary, including what you told us about:
- the current use and identity of Maling Road
- the different areas for improvement
- what you’d like Maling Road to look and feel like in the future.