You may need a Planning Permit, a Building Permit or both to replace or build a front fence.

Depending on your circumstances, you may also need a:

  • Tree Works Permit
  • Road or Footpath Occupancy Permit
  • Vehicular Crossing Permit
  • Asset Protection Permit
  • Memorandum of Authorisation (VicRoads)

How to use this guide

To help you work out which permits you need, begin at Step 1 and answer the questions one at a time . You may be asked to look at your zone, the number of dwellings on the property and the fence's height and materials.

If you are building a side or rear fence, see Replace or build a side or rear fence.

Before you begin

Before finalising your design:

If you are replacing a fence you may need a Planning or Building Permit for the demolition of the existing fence. To determine which permits you need for demolition, see Demolish all or part of a building.

More information

For information about planning and Planning Permits, contact our Statutory Planning team on (03) 9278 4888 or at [email protected]

For information about building and Building Permits, contact our Building Services team on (03) 9278 4999 or at [email protected].

In this guide: