Our integrated water strategy guides how we manage the water in Boroondara.
The strategy brings together water efficiency (reducing water wastage), waterway protection and pollution control across the water cycle.
The water cycle includes:
- water consumption
Our strategy has 4 objectives:
- minimise the waste of drinking water
- reuse water and increase water harvesting
- remove pollutants from stormwater before it enters our waterways
- support flood mitigation to protect properties, the environment, and Council assets.
As part of our strategy, we're making our facilities more water efficient to reduce water wastage.
- adding water efficient fixtures and fittings
- installing rainwater tanks
- upgrading irrigation systems
- planting drought tolerant and native plants.
Our major building projects also need to receive 5 stars on the Green Star Design & As Built system.
Read more about our approach to water sensitive urban design.
We are a member of the Yarra Collaboration Committee. This committee is led by Melbourne Water and includes:
- local and state government organisations who are responsible for managing the Yarra River
- representatives of the Wurundjeri Woi-wurrung people.
The committee has developed a 10-year plan for managing the river: Yarra Strategic Plan (Burndap Birrarung burndap umarkoo) 2022–2032.
Council endorsed the plan in April 2022. The final plan was released by the Minister for Water in February 2022.
As a member of the collaboration committee, we are working with partners to implement this plan.
Visit Melbourne Water Yarra Strategic Plan to learn more.
Join our Living for our Future program to learn about being water efficient in your garden.
Contact Yarra Valley Water to learn about:
- saving water
- water and sewerage infrastructure in your home.
Contact Melbourne Water to learn about:
- water sensitive urban design
- stormwater harvesting
- flood management
- river health and waterway protection.