You can book to have bundled green waste collected twice a year, in April and October, in addition to your fortnightly green waste bin collection.
We also collect Christmas trees in January. We only collect real trees as we mulch them to use in our parks and gardens. Bookings will open in December 2018 for collections in January 2019.
How to book
You need to book your green waste collection by 2pm Friday for the following week's collection.
There are 3 ways you can book a green waste or Christmas tree collection:
- Call 9278 4444 between 8am and 5.15pm, Monday to Friday
- Email Council
Bookings for Christmas tree collection open in December for collection in January.
Once your collection day is confirmed, see prepare for green waste collection.
What we collect in bundled waste
- Prunings and tree branches
- Single tree limbs, free of branches and/or leaves
- Tree roots that can be lifted by one person
It's essential that all green waste is securely tied with string or twine in bundles and neatly stacked.
What we don't collect in bundled waste
- Loose leaves, grass, weeds and soil
- Rose bushes or thorny plants
- Ivy, bamboo and palm trees or branches
- Timber and tree stumps
- Material containing wire or nails
- Food waste
- Grasses, weeds and flowers
- Bark chips
- Green waste that exceeds maximum measurements or is not bundled or tied properly.
We can't collect green waste in boxes or bags or tied with wire, plastic string or ties, stockings or other non-organic materials.
Other options for disposing of green waste
If you have used both your green waste collections for the year or you need to dispose of items that we don't collect, the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre accepts green waste.
For more information on all our waste and recycling services, see our A to Z Recycling and Waste Guide (Area A) or A to Z Recycling and Waste Guide (Area B). To find out which Area you live in, use the bin collection day search. You can also download our waste and recycling app.