On this page

Protecting Council assets

You need an Asset Protection Permit for building or demolition works within the City of Boroondara.

You will need a separate permit for each building site.

This protects our:

  • footpaths
  • nature strips
  • vehicle crossings
  • kerbs
  • channels
  • drains
  • roads and laneways.

Application fee and bond for permit

There is an application fee you need to pay when you submit your application for your Asset Protection Permit. This amount depends on the type of works, assets and the potential risks of the work.

We will calculate the bond required for your works once we have inspected your site. You will then be invoiced for the bond within 10 business days.

Type of worksApplication feeBond

Minor impact, for example:

  • carports
  • re-stumping
  • internal works
  • fencing
  • landscaping.
$333Minimum $3,000

Medium impact, for example:

  • demolition only
  • house extension
  • single dwellings
  • dual occupancy
  • pools
  • garages
  • multi-unit development up to $10m.
$497Minimum $5,000

Major impact (bond provided on application), for example:

  • multi-unit developments more than $10m
  • multi-storey developments
  • apartment buildings
  • works with a Construction Management Plan.
$832Minimum $5,000

Apply for a permit

You will need to complete our Apply for an asset protection permit form to submit your permit application. You will be required to pay your application fee  as part of completing this form (see the Application fee and bond for permit section on this page).

Apply for an Asset Protection Permit

We will process your application within 10 business days.

Using your permit

You cannot begin works until you have received your permit. We will issue your Asset Protection Permit after you have paid the bond.

Your building works must start within 12 months of getting your permit, otherwise it will expire. Once works have started, your permit is valid for 3 years.

Restoring assets

You must restore Council assets around your site to a satisfactory condition.

This includes:

  • removing rubbish, debris, and building materials
  • repairing damage
  • levelling and seeding damaged nature strips.

We recommend you read our Protection of Council Assets and Control of Building Sites Local Law 2021 document available in the downloads section on this page. This contains information about what your responsibilities are for restoring assets.

To make these asset repairs, you will need additional permits. You can find information about these on our:

Download our Protection of Council Assets and Control of Building Sites Local Law document

Bond refund

You must meet the conditions of your permit to get your bond back. Only the person or company who lodged the bond can apply for the refund.

Apply for a bond refund

Inspecting assets

Before we can refund your bond, we need to inspect our assets. If our assets are in a satisfactory condition, we'll refund the bond in full to the person or company who paid.

Please note: your refund can take up to 8 weeks from the date you apply.

Damage to assets

If there's damage to assets, we'll email you to explain which assets need to be repaired.

Arranging your own repairs

You can choose to arrange repairs yourself. You need to reapply for your bond refund when the repairs are complete.

We will do a final inspection of your site. You can be fined if Council assets are still not repaired as required.

More information

You can contact our Asset Protection Team for more information by emailing us [email protected] or calling us on (03) 9278 4444.

Was this page helpful?