Only contractors can apply for a Road Opening Permit. 

If you are a public authority, or completing works on behalf of one, you need to get consent to conduct works within a road reserve.

You need a Road Opening Permit when making any opening in council land, such as: 

  • connecting water or gas 
  • creating or repairing a footpath
  • excavating a road
  • installing or repairing a stormwater connection. 

You also need a Road Opening Permit to dig up council assets within a road reserve. A road reserve is the public land beyond the property boundary. It includes nature strips, footpaths, drains, shoulders and roadway. 

Emergency works 

Emergency works are short term, unplanned works which need immediate attention. You do not need to apply for a permit when responding to emergency works, such as: 

  • burst water mains
  • disruptions to essential services.
  • gas main explosions 
  • power lines over the road.

Emergency works procedure 

  1. Make the site safe to complete the works. 

  2. Complete the emergency works. 

  3. Notify us within 48 hours of completing works. We will tell you the next steps based on the situation. 

Step 1: Prepare your application

Check if the site is on a declared road 

Declared roads are freeways, arterial roads and some non-arterial state roads.

Check if the site is on a declared road with the VicRoads map of declared roads. 

If the works are located on, or extend onto, a declared road, you need to contact VicRoads on  13 11 70  for approval first. 

Get approval from public transport authorities

If your works are near public transport, you need approval from the relevant authority, such as: 

Contact the relevant authority for their specific approval requirements. 

Contact Dial Before You Dig

Contact Dial Before You Dig to find out if there are any utility services or infrastructure located below ground, either underneath or near your proposed works.

If any services are found, you need to include these in the site plan when you apply. 

Develop a site plan 

A clear site plan will help us make a decision about your application and minimise delay. 

The site plan needs to show: 

  • underground assets found in your  Dial Before You Dig report
  • any other assets that could be impacted by the works, such as street trees, sign posts, power poles, utility service pits and stormwater connections 
  • the distance between the excavation point and the impacted assets 
  • the area of the opening, including the dimensions. 

Create a Traffic Management Plan 

The Traffic Management Plan (TMP) needs to be prepared in accordance with the VicRoads Worksite Code of Practice for traffic management.

It must be drawn by a suitably qualified person, as required by the Code of Practice.

A TMP considers how the work will impact pedestrians, motorists and residents in the area. It also ensures that appropriate steps are being taken to complete works safely.

Please note, if your works are located on a state-owned arterial road, you will need to apply for a Memorandum Of Authorisation (MOA) from VicRoads and provide the approval within your application.

Prepare your documents

Gather the following documents for submission:

  • approval from relevant authorities, such as VicRoads or public transport authorities
  • Certificate of Currency showing a minimum of $10 million public liability insurance
  • Dial Before You Dig report 
  • site plan 
  • Traffic Management Plan 
  • notification letter to police, fire and ambulance, if their services may be impacted 
  • notification letter to residents whose access may be impacted.

Step 2: Apply and pay online 

Contractors carrying out the works and reinstatement can apply online and pay the relevant fees. 


Minor works 8.5 mor less 

Conducted on a roadway, shoulder, path or nature strip.  $139.80
Conducted on council land - for example, car park, park or reserve. $90.20

Major works greater than 8.5 m2

Roads with a speed limit of 50 km/h or under 
Conducted on a roadway, shoulder, path or nature strip.  $139.80
Conducted on council land - for example, car park, park or reserve. $90.20
Roads with a speed limit over 50 km/h 
Conducted on a roadway, shoulder, path or nature strip.  $647.80
Conducted on council land - for example, car park, park or reserve. $353.20

Apply for a Road Opening Permit

Application assessment 

Once you have submitted the application, we may request more information from you. When we have all the required information, we will respond to you within 10 business days. 

If your application is approved, we will email your permit. We will contact you if your application has been refused. 

Permit conditions

The permit is valid for 3 months from the date of issue. The permit is for both the road opening works and the reinstatement of assets. 

You cannot transfer a permit to another person, company or property. 

On 23 August, 2021, Council made a resolution to adopt the Protection of Council Assets and Control of Building Sites Local Law 2021. A copy can be found on our website. Please take the time to read the Local Law, to ensure that you are familiar with your obligations under the Local Law and how the Local Law impacts your works.

Step 3: Undertake works

Forty eight hours before works begin, provide a notification letter to: 

  • police, fire and ambulance, if their services may be impacted  
  • residents whose access may be impacted.

During the works, make sure that: 

  • the Traffic Management Plan is in operation
  • your approved permit is available for inspection onsite at all times
  • any third party contractor is made aware of the permit conditions. 

Step 4: Reinstate council assets

You need to reinstate all assets to council standards within 28 days of completing works. If your permit expires before beginning reinstatement, you will need to reapply. 

To reinstate the assets, you can: 

  • complete the  works yourself or through your preferred contractor, or 
  • ask us to supply you with a quote to complete the works. 

Step 5: Submit a completion of works form 

Once you’ve reinstated all assets, submit the completion of works form that comes with your permit, and email it to [email protected] 

More information 

For help or advice, contact us on 9278 4505 or email [email protected]  

Was this page helpful?