Suitable for Australian Rules Football, cricket, outdoor fitness training, children's play, weddings and other celebrations.
St James Park is a large park that features lawns and tree-lined paths. This makes it ideal for picnics.
It offers a:
- turf cricket pitch
- Off-lead dog area (read about park rules on our Off-lead dog parks page)
- Seating and tables
- Drinking fountains
The playground has a:
- walkway and tunnel
- spiral ladder
- chain bridge
- flying fox
- set of monkey bars.
3 Burwood Road, Hawthorn 3122
There is parking on Wood Street and Denham Street. The park is within walking distance (450 m) of Hawthorn train station.
In 1858, before the secession of Hawthorn from Boroondara Road District, the Road Board sent a letter to the Minister for Lands and Works asking to secure certain grounds opposite the residence of Sir J. F. Palmer for Hawthorn residents.
The land was originally reserved by the Crown and was known as West Hawthorn Reserve. It is thought that the name St James Park comes from the football club with the same name.