Coronavirus update 13 March 2020

Stage 3 lockdown: guidance and support.

If you’re a licensed tradesperson wanting to dig up Council-controlled land (a footpath, naturestrip or road) to access water, power, gas or stormwater drains, you need to apply for a Works Within a Road Reserve Permit.

Apply for a Works Within a Road Reserve Permit

Step 1: Confirm your works location (for road works only)

Search for your property address on the Map of Declared Roads on the VicRoads website.

If your property is located on a declared road, contact VicRoads on 13 11 70 for approval.

Step 2: Contact Dial Before You Dig

Before you submit your permit application, contact Dial Before You Dig to find out if there are any utility services or infrastructure located below ground, either underneath or near your proposed works.

If any services are identified, you need to include these in the site plan when you apply (see Step 4).

Step 3: Confirm cost and type of restoration works

Once your works are completed, you need to restore the road, footpath or naturestrip to its original condition.

You can:

  • complete these works yourself or through your preferred contractor, or
  • ask us to supply you with a quote to complete the restoration works before you start works.

Step 4: Submit your application

Download and complete the Application for a Works Within a Road Reserve Permit and submit it to Council. Your application will take up to 10 business days to be assessed.

Fees apply. Updated prices available from 1 April 2020.

You can submit your application and pay the fee via post to Private Bag 1, Camberwell VIC 3124.

With your application, you'll need to include:

  • a site plan showing:
    • all assets that could be affected by the works, such as street trees, sign posts, power poles, utility service pits and stormwater connections
    • a description and location of the surface
    • measurements of the area to be opened.
  • a traffic and/or pedestrian management plan showing details of how you propose to place, erect and maintain traffic controls during the works to make sure pedestrians, workers and motorists working at and passing the work site are safe
  • a Certificate of Currency showing a minimum of $10m public liability insurance
  • your confirmation from VicRoads (Memorandum of Authorisation) - if required (see Step 1)
  • a copy of your letter notifying all residents, businesses or third parties whose access around the site will be affected. The letter should contain:
    • dates and times of works
    • how access will be altered
    • contact name and phone number of both the applicant and site manager.

For more information, contact our Works Permits team on 9278 4505 or at [email protected].

Step 5: Your application is assessed

Once you submit your application, we'll issue your permit via email within 10 business days.

We may contact you if we require more information to process your application.

During the works, make sure that:

  • traffic management plan is in operation
  • your approved permit is available for inspection onsite at all times
  • any third party contractor is made aware of the permit conditions.

Step 6: Restore the road, footpath or naturestrip

Once you've completed your works, you need to restore the road, footpath or naturestrip to its original condition (see Step 3).

Please email the Works Permits team on [email protected] for a quote for the reinstatement fees.

If you want to use Council-controlled land to store equipment or carry out construction activities, you'll need to apply for a Road or Footpath Occupancy Permit.

Contact us

For further information please contact us on 9278 4444 or at [email protected].

How useful was this information?