- All dogs and cats must be registered with Council.
- All dogs and cats must be microchipped to be registered.
- There is an annual fee for registering your pet.
- All registered pets must wear the lifetime tag on their collar.
- You may receive a discount on your pet registration or renewal if your dog or cat is desexed.
- If your pet has passed away or you have moved out of Boroondara, please transfer or change your registration.
First time registration
Renew your pet registration
Once your pet is registered, you need to renew your pet registration by 9 April each year. Registration is not transferable between animals.
With your application, you’ll need to provide proof of microchipping by uploading a scanned copy of your microchipping certificate. Learn more about microchipping.
If your dog or cat is already registered elsewhere in Victoria, you may be eligible for a registration transfer and fee waiver.
Your pet must wear the lifetime tag on their collar or you may be fined under the Domestic Animals Act 1994.
You should Attach the tag to your pet's collar. This will help us contact you if your pet gets lost.
Replace a lost pet tag
If you lose or damage your pet's tag, you can contact Council and we'll replace it free of charge.
Annual pet registration fees
|Type||Standard rate||Pensioner rate|
|Cat - desexed||
Cat - not desexed
|Dog - desexed||$63||$31.50|
|Dog - not desexed||$207||$103.50|
If your dog or cat is desexed, you may receive a discount on your pet registration.
To qualify for discount you will need to:
- supply a receipt for a desexing procedure or booking within 6 months of your registration
- If you do not provide a copy of the desexing certificate or booking receipt within 6 months of registration, the full fee will be charged for the next annual renewal.
*As you are required to register your pet within 3 months, you may first need to pay the full amount. However you will receive a refund of the difference between the full fee and discounted amount, if:
- desexing your pet occurs at approximately 6 months, and
- you provide us with a copy of a desexing booking within 6 months of registration.
For more information about pet registration, dog attacks, desexing and other pet-related information, see our Domestic Animal Management Plan (PDF, 753 KB).