What to do if you lose your pet

If you lose your pet:

All lost animals found by Council Officers in the City of Boroondara are taken to the animal shelter at the RSPCA at 3 Burwood Highway, Burwood East. Lost animals are held for 8 days.

To reclaim your lost dog, cat or other pet from the RSPCA you must pay a release fee. If your dog or cat is unregistered, you will have to register your pet before you can take it home. You may also get a fine from Council for not containing your pet.

What to do if you find an animal

If you find a pet and it does not have an identification tag with a phone number, you can:

  • Call us on 9278 4444 (24 hours a day) to organise the animal to be collected. One of our officers will collect the animal if they're contained (for example, in a cat carrier or on a lead). 
  • Take the animal to the RSPCA at 3 Burwood Highway, Burwood East.

It is against the law to keep any animal that you find. Visit our animal welfare page for advice on what to do if you find injured wildlife.

Visit cats if you are having problems with a neighbourhood cat.

Agriculture Victoria has handy information on everything from how to prevent a dog attack to building an enclosure for your cat.

Was this page helpful?