• All pets registered with Council must be microchipped.
  • You receive a discount on your registration if your pet is desexed.
  • Only a vet can desex your pet, but a microchip can be implanted by a vet or trained staff at pounds and animal shelters.

All pets registered with Council must be microchipped and we strongly recommend they are also desexed.


Although it is not mandatory, desexing your dog or cat reduces aggression and roaming behaviour, as well as stray numbers.

When you register your pet, your registration fee is substantially reduced if your dog or cat is desexed.

Only a qualified vet can carry out the desexing operation on your dog or cat. Desexing sterilises the dog or cat so they can't have puppies or kittens.

If you have registered your pet for the full fee, and they have now been desexed within the year, you can apply for a refund.

  1. Fill in the form and provide a copy of your pet’s desexing certificate.
  2. Contact Council to request a refund by emailing [email protected].


Microchipping is a great way to make sure your dog or cat can be easily identified if it strays or becomes lost. Animal shelters and local councils can scan the microchip and then contact you to let you know the location of your pet.

A microchip is a small computer chip about the size of a grain of rice. Each microchip has a unique number that can be detected with a microchip scanner. This number is recorded with Central Animal Records together with details about you and your pet, including your address.

Vets or trained staff at pounds and animal shelters can microchip your pet. The microchip is implanted just under your pet's skin - between the shoulder blades at the back of the neck. It is a common and safe procedure, takes a few seconds and is painless.

If you need an exemption from microchipping, you have to provide proof from a vet documenting why your pet's health would be harmed by the procedure.

Remember to update your pet’s microchip details with Central Animal Records if you change your address.

Owning a pet

Agriculture Victoria has handy information on everything from how to prevent a dog attack to building an enclosure for your cat.