Our Maternal and Child Health (MCH) service provides free health and developmental checks for children aged 0-4 years.
We also offer information and advice to new parents on a range of maternal and child health topics.
See our MCH service promise.
How it works
- Once your baby is born, the hospital notifies our Maternal and Child Health team.
- We then contact you to organise a visit within the first few days of arriving home.
- One of our nurses visits you at home to check your baby's health and progress. They'll also link you to the MCH centre of your choice.
- At each subsequent visit to a MCH centre, a nurse will review your child's progress and discuss any concerns you have about your baby or parenting issues.
To find your nearest centre, see the map below.
Get extra help
We can link you to programs if you need extra support, including:
- home visits for families experiencing early parenting difficulties
- a day stay program that helps with settling, sleeping and feeding
- lactation clinics for families that need breastfeeding support.
For more information on these programs, call 9278 4606 or email MCH service.
Join a support group
Joining a support group is a great way to get help and talk about your concerns. Groups in the City of Boroondara include:
- Baby's Okay, What About You?: a free 9-week postnatal depression group that helps you cope with being a new parent. For more information speak with your MCH nurse.
- Parents' groups: for first-time parents, where you can discuss parenting issues and make new friends. To join a group contact your local MCH centre.
Women After Gestational diabetes (WAG): a program designed specifically for women with a history of gestational diabetes. This program provides strategies to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and improve family health. For more information visit https://www.baker.edu.au/wag, email [email protected] or ask your Maternal and Child Health nurse.
- Chinese Mandarin-speaking family group: a Chinese-speaking parents' group held monthly at Balwyn's Maternal and Child Health centre, 1 Cherry Rd, Balwyn. To join the group call 9278 4607 or email the Balwyn MCH service. See dates for the first half of 2018 below:
|Chinese Mandarin-speaking family group - Dates for 2018|
For parenting advice, call the Maternal and Child Health line on 13 22 29 to talk to a qualified MCH nurse. This is a 24-hour service, 7 days a week.
This isn't an emergency number: for all emergencies call 000.