If you are selling food, following the right safety procedures is critical to prevent food poisoning.

All food businesses in Victoria - from permanent premises to stalls at community events, food vans and sausage sizzles - must comply with the Food Act 1984, which oversees food safety in Victoria.

Temporary or mobile food premises need to register with or notify Council and lodge a Statement of Trade form each time they operate. For more information, see register a temporary or mobile food business.

The Department of Health and Human Services provides a wide range of food safety resources for businesses and community groups, including:

  • Food - how to keep it safe, including safety after a power failure, food handler hygiene and food preparation and storage.
  • Do food safely, free online training recommended for Class 3 and Class 4 businesses and community groups.

Food safety records for food businesses

These record booklets capture the information required by Victorian Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), No. 1 Version 3 Food Safety Records.

If you need a copy of the Program to go with our record booklet, you can download the one your require here for your specific premises.

For more information about food business classes, see food business classification.

Food recalls

A food recall is an action taken by a food business to remove unsafe food from distribution, sale and consumption. All food businesses must be able to quickly remove food from the marketplace to protect public health and safety.

The Department of Health and Human Services and FSANZ (Food Standards Australia New Zealand) notify local government and the public regarding food recalls.

Council will contact the relevant businesses to ensure the recall has been actioned and the affected food is removed from sale.

FSANZ has more information on food recalls.

Was this page helpful? *