On this page

A food business is any organisation that sells food or drink.

The Victorian Food Act 1984 (the Act) and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code (the Code) control the sale of food in Victoria to ensure that the food you sell is safe to eat.

  1. When you start a food business or buy an existing one, you must apply to register it with us.  
  2. When you apply we’ll tell you which permits, inspections and other requirements you must comply with to be registered.
  3. Once your business is registered you must renew your registration and pay a registration fee every year. 

What you should know before applying to register

Class compliance requirements

The Act separates food premises into 5 classes based on the food safety risks of the highest risk food handling activity. You must comply with the food safety responsibilities of your class. 

  • Class 1, 2, 3 and 3A businesses must be registered.
  • Class 4 businesses don't need to be registered but must notify us. 

Find out more about food classes on our Food business classifications page.

Requirements for different food businesses

Primary industry

Primary industry businesses do not need to register with us.

  • Meat or fish primary businesses must register with PrimeSafe, the statutory agency responsible for regulating meat, poultry, seafood and pet food in Victoria.
  • Dairy manufacturers must register with Dairy Food Safety Victoria.  

Community and not-for-profit groups

If you are a community or not-for-profit group raising money for charity by selling sausages or packaged cakes without raw egg, custard or cream you may be classified as Class 4 – the lowest level of regulation.  

If you are selling unpackaged cakes or goods that contain raw egg, custard or cream, you must contact us as different food safety rules apply.  

For more information, visit the Department of Health website for their cake stalls guide and sausage sizzles guide. 

Temporary or mobile food businesses

If you run a mobile business like a food truck, or a temporary business like a food stall at a market or festival, you must register or notify us each time you operate. 

For more information, visit our Register a temporary or mobile food business page.  

Structural standards 

The Food Act 1984 ('the Act') and The Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code require the construction and fitting out of food premises to meet certain standards.

Download our guides on structural standards to help you comply with the general legislative requirements of the Act and the Food Standards Code.

Step 1: Apply to establish your business

Before you register a food business with us, whether it is a new business that you are starting or an existing business that you are buying, you must apply to establish it with us.

In your application, include:

  • a floor plan showing the layout of your new premises including location, method of installation, types of finishes, surfaces, fixtures and equipment
  • specifications on mechanical exhaust systems
  • your proposed menu.

Apply to establish a food business

We will review your application to check that it complies with the standards of the Code. We’ll contact you within 14 days of receiving your application if we need more information.

A small number of businesses do not need to register but must still notify us of activities. To check if this applies to your food business, call us on (03) 9278 4710.  

Get help with your application

Use our free Business Support Service to guide you through the application process.

Contact our Business Support Service 

Step 2: Request a pre-sale inspection if you're buying an existing business

If you plan to buy an existing food business like a café, bakery or restaurant, use our pre-sale inspection service before you make the purchase. 

This step is not mandatory, but we strongly recommend it. Our environmental health officers will inspect the food premises and send you a detailed report of any items that don’t comply with the Act. 

Our standard service provides a report within 10 working days and costs $272. If you want it sooner, you can choose a 5-day turnaround after calling (03) 9278 4444 to confirm an environmental health officer is available. The 5-day service costs $420.

You’ll need the current proprietor’s consent to release the inspection report.

After we’ve issued the report, it’s your responsibility to negotiate and resolve any outstanding non-compliant items with the current proprietors before you take over the business.

You must have completed Step 1 to establish your business before you can request a pre-sale inspection.

Step 3: Contact utility providers

Contact Yarra Valley Water to find out your sewerage and waste water requirements.

Contact gas and electricity providers to confirm that you meet their codes and standards. 

Step 4: Arrange an interim inspection

During the refurbishment of your new premises, you can contact us to arrange an interim inspection.

We'll inspect your premises to advise if any changes or improvements are needed to comply with the Act.

Step 5: Meet your food safety requirements

Class 1

You must develop a food safety program and have it audited by an approved and qualified auditor. Submit the food safety program when you apply to register.

To find a list of approved auditors, visit the Victorian Department of Health website.

You must also appoint a qualified food safety supervisor. For more on food safety supervisors, visit the Victorian Department of Health website

Class 2

Depending on the types of food you propose to prepare and serve, you may need to develop a food safety program. Call us on (03) 9278 4710 if you want to discuss whether you'll need a food safety program.

You can develop your own food safety program or build one using the Department of Health's FoodSmart program.

Most food businesses are required to comply with other food safety management tools, including:

  • continuous food safety training of all staff
  • regular updating of Food Safety Supervisor training
  • substantiation of critical food safety controls. 

You can find information about food safety management tools at the Department of Health website.

You are also required to appoint a qualified food safety supervisor. For more on food safety supervisors, visit the Victorian Department of Health website

Classes 3, 3A or 4

If you are starting a Class 3, Class 3A or a Class 4 food business you don't need a food safety program, but we recommend you complete the Victorian Government's Do Food Safely online training.

If you are a Class 3 food business you must maintain Class 3 records. Find out the minimum requirements for Class 3 records on the Department of Health website.

If you are a Class 3A food business you are not required to maintain Class 3 minimum records but must appoint a qualified food safety supervisor. For more on food safety supervisors, visit the Victorian Department of Health website

Step 6: Book a final inspection

Once your food business premises is complete, book a final inspection at least one week before you open.

An environmental health officer will inspect your premises to make sure you have met all the regulations.

Step 7: Complete your registration

Once we have made the final inspection and you have met all the requirements, you will receive an email from us to complete your application for registration. 

With your application, include:

  • your food safety program (if required)
  • details of a food safety supervisor and proof of competency (class 1, 2 and 3A only)
  • payment.

If your application is successful, you will receive a Certificate of Registration by email. An inspection will then occur within one month of being approved to operate.

Registration renewal

Registrations are renewed annually and must be paid by 31 December each year.

We’ll send renewal reminders and your annual renewal form to the email address supplied in your application for registration.  

If we do not receive your payment by 31 December each year, you may incur additional costs such as an infringement notice for trading unregistered, and legal proceedings may be brought against you. 


Fees are charged on a pro-rata, quarterly basis and are subject to change without notice. GST does not apply.

Food premises classificationOne-off cost to registerAnnual cost to renew
Class 1$776$554
Class 2: Standard Food Safety Program or No Food Safety Program Required$1,065$890
Class 2: Non-Standard Food Safety Program$1,110$940
Class 2: Standard Food Safety Program for a large supermarket of 3 or more departments$2,390$2,220
Class 2: Non-standard Food Safety Program for a large supermarket of 3 or more departments$2,770$2,600
Class 3A $1,065$890
Class 3 $600$510

Compliance inspections

Environmental Health Officers must inspect your premises once each year to ensure compliance with the Act. 

Officers may make other inspections during the year if required (for example, to follow up on a complaint).

If an officer identifies major breaches in your premises during an inspection, they must make a follow-up inspection.


The cost of an annual compliance inspection and first follow-up is included in the one-off cost to register or renew, listed in the above table.

If the breaches are identified, further inspections will be made until compliance is achieved. You will be charged $271.00 for each inspection beyond the first follow-up inspection.

More information

If you have questions or need more information on any aspect of starting a food business, contact us on (03) 9278 4444 or email [email protected].

Was this page helpful?