We are committed to the aims and objectives of the Protected Disclosure Act 2012. We do not tolerate improper conduct by our elected representatives or employees, nor taking reprisals against anyone who comes forward to disclose this conduct.

Anyone can make a protected disclosure (previously known as 'whistleblower' complaints) to report improper conduct by Council, its staff, employees and Councillors.

Improper conduct

To report improper conduct (protected disclosure) you must believe, on reasonable grounds, that a Councillor or Council employee has engaged in, or proposes to engage in, improper conduct.

The conduct must constitute a crime or be reasonable grounds for dismissal, such as:

  • an officer taking a bribe to grant a permit
  • an officer ignoring or concealing evidence of an illegal activity being conducted in the municipality
  • an officer selling or revealing confidential information to enable someone to gain advantage such as information about a tender
  • a substantial mismanagement of public resources
  • a substantial risk to public health or safety
  • a substantial risk to the environment.

Anything already in the public domain is not regarded as a disclosure.

Report improper conduct

There are 3 ways you can report improper conduct using the protected disclosure process.

1. Directly to the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC):

  • Call 1300 735 135 to request a form be sent to you
  • Complete the IBAC complaint form online
  • Download the complaint form from the IBAC website and submit it by email, fax or post.

2. Directly to the Victorian Ombudsman:

IBAC or the ombudsman will assess and investigate your disclosure and offer advice on what action to take.

3. You can also contact Council about a disclosure:

  • Call David Thompson on 9278 4470
  • Email: [email protected]
  • Mail to Confidential Protected Disclosure, Manager Governance, Private Bag 1, Camberwell VIC 3124.

If we determine your report to be a protected disclosure, we'll forward it to IBAC.

Disclosures can be made anonymously.

If you have a complaint, please see details for how to report it at make a complaint.

How useful was this information?