If a tree or branch has fallen on your property during a storm, call the SES on 132 500.

Report a Council tree that is unsafe or has caused damage 

Use our Report an issue form to report a Council tree that:

  • has damaged your private property, such as a building, fence, driveway or car 
  • is unsafe, such as a fallen, unhealthy or diseased tree, a tree with pests, or a tree touching power lines. 

Council trees are on public land, such as a nature strip, park, public garden or public car park.

Report a tree issue online

Or contact us at [email protected] or on (03) 9278 4444.

Find out how to report a beehive or wasp nest in a tree on our bees and wasps page.

Trees on your neighbour's property

Trees can sometimes cause problems between neighbours. 

If a neighbour's tree is unsafe, causing problems or damaging your property, talk to your neighbour. This is the first step to resolve the issue.

If you and your neighbour agree to remove the tree, check if you need a permit on our tree works permits page

We can't:

  • help settle a dispute with your neighbour
  • make them remove a tree. 

For advice on talking to your neighbour about tree issues, visit the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria website

Pruning a neighbour's tree

  • Check if you need a permit to prune their tree on our tree works permits page.
  • Talk to your neighbour before you start pruning. 
  • Prune to Australian Standard 4373-2007 Pruning of Amenity Trees to avoid damaging the tree. We recommend you hire a qualified arborist (tree specialist).
  • You can prune leaves or branches that hang over onto your property. You have to pay any costs for the work and not damage the tree.
  • Only prune from your property up to the common boundary. Do not enter your neighbour’s property to remove branches unless you have their permission.

Your neighbour can also remove or prune branches that hang over onto their property. They can only do this from their property. They can't enter your property without your permission.

You can't prune a Council tree, such as a tree on a nature strip. If a Council tree is hanging over onto your property email us at [email protected] or call (03) 9278 4444.

Managing trees on your property

Hire a qualified arborist (tree specialist) to regularly inspect and prune your trees. We recommend inspections every 3 to 5 years, or more often if the tree has existing issues. 

If your trees or plants hang over onto public or Council land, we can ask you to prune them. 

Pruning trees near power lines

Every 2 years we prune street trees to clear branches from power lines. This is part of our tree pruning program.

We comply with Energy Safe Victoria's Electricity Safety (Electric Line Clearance) Regulations 2020, which sets the amount of pruning required around power lines. 

Pruning dates

Estimated completion dates for the next 2 rounds of pruning are listed below.

Some works take us longer to complete, such as:

  • pruning in larger suburbs
  • specialist works like live line and high voltage shutdowns.
Suburb Estimated completion dates

August 2023
August 2025


February 2024
February 2026

Balwyn North

April 2023
April 2025

Camberwell January 2023
January 2025
Canterbury April 2024
April 2026
Deepdene February 2022
February 2024
Glen Iris

May 2023
May 2025

Hawthorn November 2023
November 2025
Hawthorn East June 2024
June 2026
Kew October 2022
October 2024
Kew East December 2023
December 2025
Mont Albert July 2023
July 2025
Surrey Hills April 2024
April 2026

    Electric Line Clearance Management Plan

    Our annual Electric Line Clearance Management Plan details how we manage tree pruning for low and high voltage power lines.

    More information

    For more information contact us at [email protected] or on (03) 9278 4745.

    Was this page helpful?