When selecting trees for your urban garden, look for options that are:
- suited to the climate, soil type and drainage conditions
- resistant to pests in the area
- easy for you to maintain and prune
- the right size and shape for your garden.
Before choosing a tree, assess your garden site to consider:
- The size of the property: Will the tree have enough space to grow healthily?
- The size of the mature tree: Could it affect your house, a neighbour's property or powerlines?
- Underground elements such as pipes: Could the tree prevent access or root growth cause damage?
- Wall and housing foundations: Will the fully grown tree cause issues?
Other things to consider include overshadowing, privacy, potential damage to hard surfaces by tree roots, and material that is dropped by a tree.