Your recycling bin and household waste bin are collected on the same day each week. We provide every residential property in Boroondara with one Council recycling bin.
Collected recycling is taken to a resource recovery facility where it is sorted, including separating steel, glass, plastic and aluminium so they can be delivered to the right processing plants.
You can also drop off recyclables at our recycling and waste centres.
Ordering a new bin
If you are a new resident at a new property who doesn't have a recycling bin, please contact us to order a new one.
There are 2 sizes of recycling bin available - 120 litres and 240 litres. Please contact us if you'd like to change the size of your recycling bin.
What we collect
- Soft drink, juice, milk and water bottles
- Margarine, yoghurt and ice-cream containers
- Detergent and cordial bottles
- Glass jars and bottles
- Newspapers, magazines and junk mail
- Office and computer paper
- Letters and envelopes
- Cardboard and cereal boxes (large cardboard boxes cut into smaller pieces)
- Telephone books
- Milk and juice cartons
- Steel cans
- Aluminium cans, foil and pie trays
- Aerosol cans (empty)
Make sure all bottles, cartons, jars, containers and cans are rinsed and all food scraps removed.
What we don't collect
- Gas bottles, gas canisters or bulbs – high explosive risk
- Aerosols that are full/partially full – high explosive risk
- Batteries (all types) – high explosive risk
- Motor oil containers – high explosive risk
- Mobile phones – high explosive risk
- Electronic waste (‘e-waste’)
- Garden/green waste
- Food waste
- Plastic bags and flexible plastics
- Plastic toys
- Flexible plastics with foil lining e.g. chips packets
- Large metal mechanical parts e.g. car or engine parts
- Metal pots and pans
- Nappies (used or clean)
- Video tapes
- Textiles and clothing
- Garden hoses
- Vacuum cleaner hoses
- Polystyrene packaging, cups and meat trays
- Ceramic plates, cups and crockery
- Drinking glasses
- Light globes and broken glass
- Window glass
- Pyrex dishes
- Waxed coated boxes
- Dead animals or animal waste
- Syringes, needles
- Medical waste
- Any other rubbish
Please check the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre page for items that may not be collected but can be recycled there.
How to put your bin out
The night before your collection day, please put your bin out:
- on the naturestrip
- close to your driveway
- clear of all obstacles such as trees, poles and parked cars
- with the bin handle facing your property.
- Type your street name into the search box below (please don't add a house number) .
- Use your street type in full – such as 'road' or 'street' - rather than 'rd' or 'st'.
- Select your location and click UPDATE.
If you don't see a list of locations after entering your street name, click in the search box again.