The 2020-21 annual fees are $245 for an 80L and $447 for a 120L household waste bin.
You can order a 240L bin under exceptional circumstances, such as for families of 4 or more or if needed for medical reasons. Commercial premises can also have 240L waste bins.
If you would like to downgrade to a smaller bin, please contact Customer Service on 9278 4444 and we will organise it for you.
Collected household waste is taken to the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre for sorting and then transferred to our contracted landfills.
If you are a new resident at a new property that doesn't have a household waste bin, you can contact us to order one.
Council does not provide a bin service to vacant properties, or properties under construction. Please contact Council at the conclusion of construction, or once your Certificate of Occupancy has been obtained and your property is occupied.
Find your bin day
What we collect
Household waste is anything that can't be:
- re-used or recycled
- placed in your compost bin
- placed in your FOGO bin
- placed in your green waste bin.
Make sure all your household waste is securely stored in rubbish bags to prevent spillage during collection.
What we don't collect
- green waste, including soil
- medical waste
- household chemicals, oils, paints, solvents or other liquids
- syringes and needles
- unwrapped vacuum dust, ashes or broken glass
- building or excavation materials, including timber.
Household waste can also be disposed of at the Boroondara Recycling and Waste Centre (charges apply).
Avoiding bin smells
We recommend the following tips to help you prevent or minimise the smell from your waste bin:
- Keep your bin in the shade, away from windows and doors.
- Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda into your bin to absorb smells.
- Bag your waste.
- Use scented bags.
- Empty the contents of disposable nappies into the toilet before wrapping the nappy securely and placing it in the bin.
- Make sure your waste bin lid closes properly and there are no cracks in the bin sides. If your bin is broken or cracked, contact us to request a bin repair or replacement.
Put your bin out the night before your collection day:
- on the naturestrip
- close to your driveway
- clear of all obstacles such as trees, poles and parked cars
- with the bin handle facing your property.
Bins are collected as usual on all public holidays, except Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Good Friday. An alternative collection day will be advertised prior to these days.