We collect most garden waste, such as:
- lawn clippings, weeds, leaves and prunings
- twigs and branches up to 75mm in diameter, cut to fit in the bin
Please keep garden waste loose and not bagged.
Paper and cardboard
Clean and dry paper and cardboard should go into your recycling bin. You can place most soiled cardboard and paper waste into the FOGO bin, including:
- wet and oily paper or cardboard
We collect most food waste, including:
- fruit and vegetables - cooked or raw
- meat and seafood - cooked or raw (excluding cooked bones and oyster shells)
- dairy products
- eggs and egg shells
- bread and cakes
- rice and pasta
- loose tea leaves and coffee grounds (excluding tea bags and coffee pods)
- spoiled food
If your FOGO bin contains items that we cannot process, it could result in the entire truckload going to landfill.
These are the top items that should not be placed in your FOGO bin:
- plastics (of any kind)
- any other type of bag/liner (only use our approved compostable liners or newspaper/paper)
- medical waste
- pet poo and litter
- bricks, rocks and concrete
- stickers on fruit and vegetable
- cooked bones
- tea bags
- coffee pods.
A to Z recycling and waste guide
For a detailed list of items and which bin to put them in, see our A to Z recycling and waste guide.
Download our bin room poster for apartments and units
Examples of accepted liners
You can buy compostable kitchen caddy liners from supermarkets, hardware stores or online. Below are some examples of products that meet requirements:
- 8 litre Compost-A-Pak liners (original liners we supplied in FOGO starter packs)
- BioBag 8 litre rolls
- Maze 9 litre Slim Compostable Bags
- Multix Greener Mini Plant Based Compostable Bags
- Cardia Compostable 8 litre Kitchen Tidy Bags
Caddy liner alternatives
Council supplied liners
When you run out of liners you can also choose to collect an annual complimentary roll from one of the following locations:
- Customer Service Counter - 8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell
- Greythorn Community Hub, Library Lounge - 2 Centre Way, Balwyn North
- Hawthorn Library - 584 Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn
- Ashburton Pool and Recreation Centre - 8 Warner Ave, Ashburton
- Kew library - Corner Cotham Rd and Civic Dr, Kew
- Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre - 157 Union Rd, Surrey Hills
Please be mindful that we have limited supply available, and a one roll per household limit applies.
Upgrade from a 120 L bin $132
Order a second 240 L bin $132
If you live in an apartment or unit complex with 7 or more dwellings, you can order a new FOGO bin through your body corporate or managing agent.
If you are a new resident at a new property that doesn't have a FOGO bin or kitchen caddy, contact us to order one.
Report a damaged or missing FOGO bin
If your bin was damaged or is missing, you can report it online.
Order a second or larger FOGO bin
Download the form below and return it to us.