Our food organics and garden organics (FOGO) bins are dark green with a lime green lid. FOGO bins are collected weekly.

Dark green bin with a lime green lid.

Find your bin day

See Find your bin day.

What we collect


We collect most garden waste, such as:

  • lawn clippings, weeds, leaves and prunings
  • twigs and branches up to 75mm in diameter, cut to fit in the bin
  • Please keep garden waste loose and not bagged.

Paper and cardboard

Clean and dry paper and cardboard should go into your recycling bin. You can place most soiled cardboard and paper waste into the FOGO bin, including: 

  • newspaper
  • tissues
  • wet and oily paper or cardboard


We collect most food waste, including:

  • fruit and vegetables - cooked or raw
  • meat and seafood - cooked or raw (excluding cooked bones and oyster shells)
  • dairy products
  • eggs and egg shells
  • bread and cakes
  • rice and pasta 
  • loose tea leaves and coffee grounds (excluding tea bags and coffee pods)
  • spoiled food

What we do not collect

If your FOGO bin contains items that we cannot process, it could result in the entire truckload going to landfill.

These are the top items that should not be placed in your FOGO bin:

  • plastics (of any kind)
  • any other type of bag/liner (only use our approved compostable liners or newspaper/paper)
  • medical waste
  • nappies
  • pet poo and litter
  • glass
  • bricks, rocks and concrete
  • stickers on fruit and vegetable
  • cooked bones
  • tea bags
  • coffee pods. 

A to Z recycling and waste guide

For a detailed list of items and which bin to put them in, see our A to Z recycling and waste guide.

Download our bin room poster for apartments and units

FOGO caddy liners

You can use compostable caddy liners to collect food waste provided they meet the following requirements.

If you use the wrong kind of liner or a plastic bag you will contaminate your FOGO material.

Caddy liner requirements

Caddy liners must meet all of these specifications:

  • lime/light green in colour (no other colours accepted!)
  • labelled as 'compostable'
  • made from 100% corn starch
  • display both AS5810 and AS4736 codes
Logos for Home Compostable AS 5810 ABAX 9999 liners and Compostable AS 4736 ABAX 9999


Examples of accepted liners

You can buy compostable kitchen caddy liners from supermarkets, hardware stores or online. Below are some examples of products that meet requirements:

  • 8 litre Compost-A-Pak liners  (original liners we supplied in FOGO starter packs)
  • BioBag 8 litre rolls 
  • Maze 9 litre Slim Compostable Bags 
  • Multix Greener Mini Plant Based Compostable Bags
  • Cardia Compostable 8 litre Kitchen Tidy Bags

Caddy liner alternatives

  • line your kitchen caddy with a paper bag, newspaper or paper towel
  • use no liner

Council supplied liners

When you run out of liners you can also choose to collect an annual complimentary roll from one of the following locations: 

  • Customer Service Counter - 8 Inglesby Road, Camberwell 
  • Greythorn Community Hub, Library Lounge - 2 Centre Way, Balwyn North
  • Hawthorn Library - 584 Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn
  • Ashburton Pool and Recreation Centre - 8 Warner Ave, Ashburton
  • Kew library - Corner Cotham Rd and Civic Dr, Kew
  • Surrey Hills Neighbourhood Centre - 157 Union Rd, Surrey Hills

Please be mindful that we have limited supply available, and a one roll per household limit applies. 

Bin sizes and fees

Size Height One-off fee
120 L 92cm Free
240 L 107cm

Upgrade from a 120 L bin $135

Order a second 240 L bin $135

How to order a new bin or caddy

If you live in an apartment or unit complex with 7 or more dwellings, you can order a new FOGO bin through your body corporate or managing agent.

If you are a new resident at a new property that doesn't have a FOGO bin or kitchen caddy, contact us to order one.

If you are renting at a property, you should talk to your landlord or managing agent about ordering a new bin. Applications for changes to bin sizes or new bins should be completed by the owner or managing agent of a property as it affects rates.

If you are a business owner, you can contact our Waste Education Officer by emailing [email protected] and asking for support on getting the most from your waste and recycling service. As a Council, we currently only provide FOGO bins to households.

Report a damaged or missing FOGO bin

If your bin was damaged or is missing, you can report it online.

Order a second or larger FOGO bin

Download the form below and return it to us.

More information

For more information, contact our Customer Service team at [email protected] or on (03) 9278 4444.

Was this page helpful?