You need to apply for Report and Consent for demolition (Section 29A) if you plan to do any of the following: 

  • Demolish or remove 100% of a building, or demolish more than 50% of the volume of the original building. This is the volume test under Section 29A (1)(a) of the Building Act 1993
  • Demolish or change any part of the façade of a building. This is the façade test under Section 29A (1)(b) of the Act. 

A façade is an external wall that faces a street or laneway. It can include architectural features attached to the wall, such as a verandah or balcony.

Section 29A application

Only the property owner or an authorised agent of the owner can submit a Section 29A application.

If you are applying as an authorised agent of the owner, you must have the owner’s consent in writing before applying. 

Submit a Section 29A application

What to include in your application 

With your application you must include the following documents: 

  • A current Certificate of Title, including a Title Plan/plan of subdivision. To get a copy of the Title visit the Landata website
  • The site plan showing what will be demolished. The site plan must be to scale with dimensions from the building being demolished to the title boundaries. It must be visually clear and can be hand drawn.

You will also need: 

  • a written description of the proposed demolition
  • the building surveyor's details if one has been appointed
  • your Planning Permit number if you have a Planning Permit. 


The application fee is $91.40.  

This payment needs to be made using a credit card or PayPal when the application is submitted. There is no fee for Visa or MasterCard debit cards, or for PayPal transactions. Credit card surcharges apply, find out more on our Pay page

Processing time

Expect it to take 15 business days for us to assess your application. 

More information

If you're not sure whether you need Report and Consent, ask your building surveyor or contact us at [email protected] or on (03) 9278 4999

Check if you need other permits for your demolition project with our guide on demolishing all or part of a building

Was this page helpful?