Residential areas in Boroondara are divided into 80 Neighbourhood Character Precincts according to their style and common characteristics. This helps new developments to keep the character and history of local areas.
Each area has a Precinct Statement, a reference document in the Boroondara Planning Scheme Clause 22.05, which we consider when assessing Planning Permit applications in residential zones.
Each Precinct Statement contains a local map, plus details of:
- key characteristics (such as building era, predominant dwelling style, fencing heights, gardens and vegetation, front and side set backs, extensions, streetscapes and trees)
- threats to its character (such as loss of historic buildings; bulky or ‘box’ like buildings; boundary-to-boundary development)
- strategies for maintaining its character (such as setting buildings back from boundaries; encouraging large tree retention and landscaped gardens; encouraging low fences).
Please contact Council’s Statutory Planning Department to confirm what overlays and zones apply to your property and refer to your property title to determine what restrictions or covenants apply to your property.
Find your neighbourhood precinct
- Enter your street name only (without the property number) in the search box below and click ‘update’ to view your precinct number
- Or view the Neighbourhood Character Precincts map
Then find the corresponding Precinct Statement below.