About Harcourt Street heritage assessments
The Harcourt Street heritage assessments project proposed to apply the Heritage Overlay to the individual property at 48 Harcourt Street, Hawthorn East, and to the Smythesdale Estate Precinct, including the following properties:
- 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 Carlyle Street, Hawthorn East
- 81, 83, 85, 85A, 87 and 89 Harcourt Street, Hawthorn East.
Current Status (October 2022)
On Monday 3 October 2022, the Urban Planning Delegated Committee (UPDC) considered a report on the outcomes of the preliminary consultation process for the Harcourt Street Heritage Assessments.
At the meeting, the UPDC resolved unanimously to adopt the officer's recommendations, This includes resolutions to:
- Adopt the heritage citation for the Smythesdale Estate Precinct.
- Start the formal planning scheme amendment process to introduce the Heritage Overlay to the Smythesdale Estate Precinct.
- Not proceed with a planning scheme amendment for 48 Harcourt Street, Hawthorn East.
Council officers will now seek authorisation from the Minister for Planning to prepare and exhibit a planning scheme amendment to introduce the proposed changes to the Smythesdale Estate Precinct. There will be a further opportunity to have your say during the exhibition stage of the amendment process, and further updates and information will be provided as required.
You can access a copy of the meeting minutes and UPDC report as presented at the 3 October 2022 UPDC meeting, at our Urban Planning Delegated Committee meetings page.
You can also watch livestreamed meetings as they take place in real time, or catch up on recordings at your convenience at our Urban Planning Delegated Committee meetings page.