Builders use skip bins (or skips) on building sites for construction waste. Residents use skip bins for removing non-recyclable waste from homes. 

Skip bin companies must apply for a permit to place a skip bin on on a road. Only registered skip bin companies can apply for a skip bin permit. We don’t give permits to residents. 

You don’t need a permit to place a skip bin on private property. 

Residents and property owners need to contact a local company to hire a skip bin. We don't hire out skip bins. 

Apply for a skip bin permit

Step 1: Submit your application

If you’re a skip bin company, you can apply for a permit to place a skip bin on the road. To request an application form, email [email protected].  

Fill in the form and email it to [email protected].

You will need to include: 

  • your ABN
  • a copy of your public liability insurance certificate for a minimum of $20 million.

Step 2: We assess your application

When we receive your application, we'll send you a confirmation email. 

We'll contact you if we need more information. 

If your application is approved, we’ll email you within 10 business days with your permit and an invoice for the fee. 

Step 3: Pay your invoice

You can pay your invoice online through our Application payments page. For other ways to pay, see Pay an invoice page.

Permit fees

Fees depend on the number of days you need the permit for. 

Process Frequency Fee
Skip bins application fee Per application $27
Skip bin cost Per day $27

How to place the skip bin

You must place the skip bin on the road so that:

  • It’s in a place where vehicles are allowed to park under Victorian Road laws. It must be placed in the parking lane and within parking bays if marked. 
  • It's clear of footpaths, naturestrips, landscaped areas and vehicle crossings.
  • There is at least 5 m of clear road in a two-way street for passing vehicles, and 3 m in a one-way street or laneway. If that width is not available, you need to suggest another site to place the skip and get Council’s approval. 
  • It’s parallel with and close to the kerb. 
  • It doesn’t block driveways or create a danger for drivers.  
  • It’s in a place without parking, no standing, loading zone or clearway restrictions.  
  • It’s at least 10 m from an intersection without traffic lights, or 20 m from an intersection with traffic lights.
  • It doesn’t cover or block drainage pits, grates or lids to underground services. 
  • It’s next to the hirer’s property. In some cases, Council will approve a different site to place the skip. 

You must also follow the VicRoads Code of Practice for the placement of skip bins on the roadside, which is available on the VicRoads website.

If you plan to place the skip bin on an arterial road and it will change traffic conditions, such as reduced driving speed, we may: 

  • direct you to VicRoads for advice 
  • request a traffic management plan.
You can’t place a skip bin on a footpath except in special circumstances. You need to request a footpath occupancy permit to place a skip bin on a footpath. 

Permit conditions

As the skip bin supplier, you must:  

  • Place the skip bin in the City of Boroondara. To see the City of Boroondara municipal area, visit our About Council wards page. To find a property’s municipality, visit the Know Your Council website.
  • Put retro-reflective tape on the skip bin as explained in the VicRoads Code of Practice for the placement of waste bins on roadsides. 
  • Keep the skip bin clean and display the company name and phone number on the skip. 
  • Take care not to damage council infrastructure or assets. You are responsible for any damage to channels, footpaths, naturestrips or other council assets. If damage occurs, tell us as soon as possible.  
  • Keep the area around the skip bin clean and clear up when the skip bin is removed.   
  • Have a public liability insurance policy that covers the permit period. If the policy expires during the permit period, the permit is invalid.
  • Make sure waste that won’t fit in the skip bin isn’t put in other rubbish or waste bins in the area. 
  • Make sure food or waste that contains organic matter isn’t put into the skip bin.  
  • Empty the skip bin often so that its contents don’t overflow. If loose materials or particles can be blown out of the skip bin, it must be covered.  
  • Make sure the skip bin isn’t a danger to public safety. This includes attaching lights to the skip bin if it’s not visible in the dark.  
  • Comply with the permit conditions and our Amenity Local Law.  
  • Make sure that the person who delivers and picks up the skip bin, and the person who hired it, know the permit conditions.  
  • Remove the skip bin by the permit’s end date. 
  • Make sure the skip bin is a maximum of 7.5 m long, 2.5 m wide and 1.5 m high. For bigger skip bins, you need to Apply for a road and/or footpath occupancy permit page
  • Follow the ‘Supplier’ and ‘Driver’ responsibilities in the VicRoads Code of Practice for the placement of waste bins on roadsides. 

For more information on placing skip bins on the road, see Guidelines for placement of skips on roadsides on the VicRoads website.

Cancel or amend a permit application

To cancel a permit application, email [email protected] before 10am on the permit's start date. If you send a request after 10am on the permit's start date, you will be charged a fee for the full day.  

To amend a permit after its start date, such as reducing the number of days, email [email protected]. If you send a request after 10am on the day you want to amend the permit from, you will be charged a fee for the full day.

For example, if your permit covers Monday to Friday and you contact us at 11am on Wednesday to cancel the permit for Wednesday to Friday, you will be charged for Monday to Wednesday.  

Report an issue with a skip bin

Skip bin companies need to follow the Guidelines for placement of skips on roadsides available on the VicRoads website

If you’re concerned that a skip bin has been placed dangerously, you can report it online.

Report a maintenance issue

You can also call us on (03) 9278 4444 or email [email protected].  

More information

For more information, contact our Customer Service team at [email protected] or on (03) 9278 4444.

Was this page helpful?