Suitable for weddings, picnics, celebrations and casual social gatherings.
Fritsch Holzer Park features huge open spaces and fantastic walking tracks. There's also a beautiful selection of native trees and plants.
- Off-lead dog area
- Seating and tables
18 Symonds St, Hawthorn East 3123.
There is street parking on Rose Street and Bowler Street.
The gardens are less than 1.5 km from Camberwell and Auburn train stations.
The park is named after Augustus Fritsch and the Holzer brothers, who formed the Upper Hawthorn Brick Company in 1883. The factory employed around 50 people and produced 250,000 bricks a week.
We bought the area in 1972. We used it as a landfill site until 1986, then as a temporary waste transfer station until 1989. We left the site empty in the years that followed to allow the landfill to stabilise.
Council, together with the Victorian Government and the Rotary Club of Hawthorn, reconstructed the area into a park in 1995.