Skip bins (or skips) are often used on building and demolitions sites for construction waste, but they are also useful for removing non-recyclable waste from your home.

You need to contact a local company to hire a skip bin. Council doesn't hire out skip bins.

These companies are accredited with Council and have the appropriate level of public liability insurance. They also have a Council permit to put skip bins on Council-controlled land and must comply with the VicRoads' code of practice for skip bins on the roadsides.

For information on placing skip bins on the road, visit Guidelines for placement of skips on roadsides on the VicRoads website.

A permit is not required if the skip bin is placed on private property.

How useful was this information?