You need to apply for a Road and/or Footpath Occupancy Permit if you want to store equipment or carry out construction activities on Council land.

Council land includes:

  • roads
  • footpaths
  • naturestrips
  • parks
  • public car parks.

Equipment may include:

  • gantries
  • site sheds
  • concrete pumps
  • building materials
  • work platforms
  • mobile scaffolding
  • cranes or travel towers
  • pipes and chutes.

Step 1: Submit your application

You must submit your application at least 10 business days before you start building works.

Apply for a Road and/or Footpath Occupancy Permit online

You can also download and complete the Footpath/road occupancy permit application form and submit to Council offices.

What to include with your application

With your application, you'll need to include:

  • A courtesy letter for any properties affected by the works (Council will nominate these), including the name and contact details of someone on-site, relevant traffic plans and construction dates.
  • Certificate of Currency or Summary of Insurance (minimum of $20 million of public liability insurance required).
  • The site plan of works and how they will be completed (can be hand-drawn).
  • A traffic management plan or details of how you will place, erect, dismantle and undertake works. Works on the road must be clearly outlined and signed according to Australian Standards. Refer to AS 1742.3, SAA HB81.1-2003, SAA HB81.3-2003 and HB81.4-2003. Works must be completed by accredited (ticketed) personnel.
  • If your works are located on or any traffic management devices are placed on a state-owned arterial road, you will need to apply for a Memorandum Of Authorisation (MOA) from VicRoads and provide the approval within your application.
  • Any relevant licences or permits.


To occupy Fee
Road and/or footpath $292 per day
To use a crane or travel tower $151 per day (additional fee)

Step 2: Your application is assessed

When we receive your application, we'll send you a confirmation email.

We'll contact you if we need more information.

If you application is successful, we'll email your permit and an invoice for the fee.

Your approved permit must be available for inspection on site.

On 23 August, 2021, Council made a resolution to adopt the Protection of Council Assets and Control of Building Sites Local Law 2021. Please take time to read the Local Law, to ensure that you are familiar with your obligations under the Local Law and how the Local Law impacts your works.

Step 3: Send courtesy letters

Once your permit has been approved, you can send your courtesy letters to the affected properties (nominated by Council).

Letters must be sent at least 48 hours before occupying the Council-managed land.

Other permits for occupying Council land

If you want to put a skip bin on Council land, you'll need to use a company approved by Council. See skip bins for more information.

If you want to install building hoarding or gantry on Council land, you'll need to apply for Report and Consent. See Building Permits for more information.

If you want to occupy a specific area of road to load or unload building materials to a site, you'll need to apply for Works Zone Permit.

For more information about occupying Council land, call 9278 4505.

Was this page helpful? *