Boroondara has many areas where you can take your dog for a run off the lead.
You can use these designated areas, provided you:
- carry a leash at all times
- don't allow your dog to worry or threaten any person or animal
- bring your dog under your control immediately if it threatens any person or animal
- keep your dog at least 30m away from in-use barbecues or picnic areas, public meetings or sporting events
- don't allow your dog within a playground and keep it on a lead within 10m of the perimeter of a playground
- pick up after your dog with a suitable plastic bag and place it in a bin (you can be fined if you don't clean up after your pet).
The above is part of Section 26(2) of the Domestic Animals Act 1994, which requires owners to keep their dogs under effective control.
Using a shared space
Everyone who uses a shared space is responsible for the safety of those around them. For example:
- Dog owners need to have their dog under effective control
- Bike riders need to travel at a speed and in a manner that enables them to avoid people and/or animals
- Pedestrians need to be mindful of activities around them.