Coronavirus update 13 March 2020

Council has closed some facilities and cancelled all events until 14 April. Learn which services have been affected.

If you want to keep more than the permitted number of animals, mammals or birds on your property (see table below), or keep any animals not listed in this table on your property, you need to apply for an Excess Animal Permit.

Private land with a single dwelling

Animal type

Number allowed
without a permit

Dogs (aged over 3 months) 2
Cats (aged over 3 months) 2
Ferrets 2
Rabbits, guinea pigs and mice 5
Roosters, pea fowl or guinea fowl 0
Chickens and pheasants 6
Turkeys, ducks and geese 2
Poultry (other than those specified above) 4
Domestic birds (caged, non-poultry) 20

Private land with a multi-residential dwelling

Changes have been made to the Amenity Local Law regarding Excess Animal Permits for multi-residential dwellings. 

These permitted numbers only apply to any new animals obtained after 20 December 2019. 

Any animals obtained prior to this date (including animals not listed on this table) may be kept in accordance with an existing permit issued prior to 20 December 2019. 

Animal type

Number allowed
without a permit

Dogs (aged over 3 months) 1
Cats (aged over 3 months) 2
Ferrets 0
Rabbits, guinea pigs, rats and mice 2
Farm animals 0
Roosters, peafowl or guinea fowl 0
Chickens and pheasants 0
Turkeys, ducks and geese 0
Poultry other than that specified above 0
Domestic Birds (caged, non-poultry birds) 5

Changes have been made to the Amenity Local Law.

As of 20 December 2019, you do not need a permit where:

  • a planning permit has already been obtained for purposes such as animal boarding or breeding
  • you are caring for animals owned by another person for no more than 14 consecutive days.

If you want to keep animals on vacant land, you need to apply for an Excess Animal Permit. 

Step 1: Submit your application

Complete the Application for an Excess Animal Permit and submit it to Council offices.

With your application, you'll need to provide:

  • details of sanitation, shelter and food storage for the animals
  • details or any structures you have built or plan to build to house them
  • a photo of each animal
  • proof that dogs and cats have been desexed and microchipped
  • a diagram showing your property has enough space to house the animals and they are not located too close to your neighbours to be noisy or a nuisance

You also need to pay $114 for an Excess Animal Permit.

You can pay by mail or in person. If you wish to pay by credit card, include your credit card details in the application form.

It's important to note that the fee will not be refunded if your application is unsuccessful.

Step 2: Contact your neighbours

We'll let your neighbours know about your request and give them the opportunity to comment.

Step 3: Application is assessed

We'll let you know if your application has been approved. We'll contact you if we have any questions.

For laws related to owning a dog or cat in Victoria, see the Victorian Law Foundation's Animal laws booklet.

Contact us

For further information please contact us on 9278 4444 or email [email protected]

Languages other than English


How useful was this information?