Food premises 

All businesses that handle, prepare, package, store, serve, supply and repackage food must be registered with their local council according to the Food Act 1984.

Registering a food business for the first time? Follow the process at start a new food business.

Public Health and wellbeing premises

All businesses that operate a personal care and body art business, or prescribed accommodation business, must be registered with their local council according to the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008.

Personal care and body art businesses include:

  • hairdressing
  • beauty therapy
  • tattooing
  • body and ear piercing
  • colonic irrigation
  • any other process involving the penetration of skin.

Massage businesses are not required to be registered under this legislation.

Prescribed accommodation includes hotels, motels, boarding houses and accommodation facilities.

How to renew your registration

  1. Fill out the renewal of business registration form. When you complete it you will receive an email with the online payment details.
  2. Pay the renewal registration fee.

Registration is valid for 12 months and must be renewed each year. We will send you an application to renew your registration.

If we do not receive payment by the due date shown on the Renewal of Registration paperwork, you will incur additional costs such as in infringement for trading unregistered, and legal proceedings may be brought against you.

How useful was this information?