Cr Garry Thompson
- [email protected]
- Phone: 9835 7847
- Mobile: 0417 153 512
- Post: Private Bag 1, Camberwell VIC 3124
- Chair - Urban Planning Special Committee
- Statutory Planning Advisory Committee
- Communications Committee
History of Solway Ward
Possibly named after a Scottish firth, and the name given to Camberwell's post office in the southern part of the former Waverley Golf Links estate.
In the 1890s, a long timber bridge extended the railway over Gardiners Creek, similar in appearance to a bridge across the original firth. The Education Department acquired some of the land in 1929, and opened Darling East Primary School in 1950.
The school was renamed Solway in 1956, according to the wishes of the Postmaster-General's Department.
The railway terminated at Ashburton for many years, but was extended to Alamein Station for the government housing developments. The housing was built after World War II on an area popularly known as Ashburton Forest.